Synonym and antonym

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

shital

Synonym and antonym

Post by shital »

Is Synonym and antonym are multiple choice in the Birmingham test??
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Re: Synonym and antonym

Post by DIY Mum »

No, Shital it's cloze.
Dc will have to fill in the blanks for each word.
For example,
Big: la rge

Multiple choice appeared in the previous exams.
shital

Post by shital »

Thanks DIY mum.
It will be even harder for childre, With multiple choice at list they can guess the word.
houseful

Post by houseful »

Hi

I'm confused :? . According to the sample exam paper on the KE website, they are multiple choice. Could someone please clarify?

Many thanks
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Houseful, the sample paper on the website is the same one that has been there for several years and was sent to us last year after we applied. However, the familiarisation sheet they sent to parents this year after we had applied to the test is different and instead of showing multiple choice vocabulary, it has the example DIYMum has given. This is why we are assuming that the layout of this section is likely to be different this year.

Unless of course it was a rouse to throw us all off scent ....... (but I doubt it) :D .

UmSusu
UmSusu
sss

Post by sss »

Hi

In previous years, are the questions in the actual B'ham KEGS exam in the same format as the familiarisation sheet i.e. cloze in familiarisation sheet is a syn/ant question therefore highly likely that the actual exam will be in this format?
The familiarisation sheet does clearly state that: 'This sample sheet is NOT definitive and the inclusion of any question types does not imply that they will be found in the final assessment.'
Regards
sss
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

For the English (and NVR) section- most likely it will appear as stated although much harder.

The maths section, imho, is quite deceptive (no data interpetation questions have ever appeared in the sample sheet but there are lots in the real exam and are extremely complex). :!:

At the end of the day, be prepared for the unexpected. There will always be some areas (like last year's jumbled words) that are thrown in.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Any opinions on the level of complexity for the cloze vocabulary?

I don't doubt that it is going to be more difficult than the sample but surely it can't be as difficult as the level of words they have had in the past for the multiple choice sections? I made up a few multiple choice vocab exercises for practice, but for cloze vocab I have kept the lists simpler : DS will hopefully remember what words like gregarious or sociable mean, but it seems a bit much to expect a 10 year old to spell it too. What about flamboyant - that came up last year : I am not even sure if I have spelt it correctly!!!!!

Ok, panic is setting in now......
UmSusu