Checklist for what to remember in the writing section?

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
devonmum

Checklist for what to remember in the writing section?

Post by devonmum »

Hi

My DS is still struggling a bit in both this and comprehension. Could anyone provide any info on what he needs to remember to score marks for the essay/letter writing part. So far we have:

beginning, middle and end
brackets (?)
speech marks

Any help please?
menagerie

Re: Checklist for what to remember in the writing section?

Post by menagerie »

If asked to continue a story from where the comprehension piece left off, he must keep it within its existing style. MY DS was marked down heavily in a story by his tutor because in a continue this story piece he allowed animals to talk who quite clearly weren't talking in the extract given.

Show use of similes, metaphors, vocab range and interesting verbs.

Don't start sentences with 'Then' more than once in the piece.
Vary syntax.
E.g. here are some repetitive sentences:
We walked through the woods until it grew dark. Then we stopped and had some food. Then we lay down and tried to sleep but we felt cold and scared.

They could become:
We walked through the woods until I could barely see Joe ahead of me in the gathering gloom.
"Can we have a rest now?" he asked. His voice sounded thin and tired.
"Good idea," I agreed.
There wasn't much left of our bread and cheese from this morning but we ate it anyway, then gathered up heaps of dried fern to sleep on. It was itchy but it kept us dry.
Around us, night sounds of the forest began to come alive. Owls hooted, foxes screamed. It was too cold for us to fall asleep easily. Too cold and too frightening.

See how making yourself vary the syntax actually brings the story to life?

Vary sentence lengths too. One or two word sentences can be very dramatic.

Eg.
"Can we have a rest now?" asked Joe. His voice sounded thin and tired.
"No."
I pushed ahead of him, grabbing his hand and tugging him along behind me. No way would I allow us to spend another night in this place. No. Way.