Games that increase vocabulary

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

museumworker

Re: Games that increase vocabulary

Post by museumworker »

Thanks for the link to the wordplay game, it looks great. I'm also trying to work on vocab with DD at the minute - she's always been an avid reader but obviously skims over any hard words (only worked that out a month or so ago after learning so much from these forums, bad mum :oops: ). Any idea where I can get wordplay in the UK? Struggling to find a retailer online.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I bought it from our local Fun Learning, but I couldn't find it on their website (they had very little on their website in comparison to the shop).
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh sorry yes - it's the board game by Frank - thought you might have meant something different as there's so much under that name on the web. It sounds promising but I'd like to know the vocab it covers.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I'll have a look later and give you an overview.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thanks FB - getting the hang of this!
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Ok, had a chance to look at the game this afternoon. Not enormously impressed with its vocabulary options. There are a couple, eg 'draw' where the definition is 'take out of a bank' or something like that, which is a meaning my DS probably wouldn't know (still thinks money grows on trees :roll: ), but otherwise, I didn't think the vocab was very challenging. One could, of course, make up your own questions, using more difficult words, in the game's format, and I will probably do this. All in all, it doesn't seem that well presented and a bit over-complicated, so it will probably not come out all that often.

Another idea I had, however, was to use my trusty old Trivial Pursuit and when a literature question came up that I thought was not 11+ related, I could throw in some vocab, or ask for the definition of a 'clause', or whatever. That way, the family will all get something age (era!)-appropriate.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

fatbananas wrote:Another idea I had, however, was to use my trusty old Trivial Pursuit and when a literature question came up that I thought was not 11+ related, I could throw in some vocab, or ask for the definition of a 'clause', or whatever.
If you were really keen you could make Trivial Pursuit cards with the categories replaces with 11+ type questions - blue for synonyms, green for antonyms, red for maths.... (or vary it for just vocabulary type questions, just NVR, or whatever).
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Okanagan wrote:If you were really keen you could make Trivial Pursuit cards with the categories replaces with 11+ type questions - blue for synonyms, green for antonyms, red for maths.... (or vary it for just vocabulary type questions, just NVR, or whatever).
DH is away for the next 3 nights; might just do as you suggest! :wink:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thanks fb. If the game is no use educationally it would get played frequently in this house.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

:lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now