How to improve?

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
herewegoagain

How to improve?

Post by herewegoagain »

My daughter is just going into Year 6 and up to 6 months ago was excellent at English. She's had a tutor for approx one year and is now struggling with the papers the tutor is giving her. Her spelling is deteriorating, her handwriting is messy, she forgets to do paragraphs and her previously wonderful powers of description seem to have deserted her. Having been confident of her ability to get a place at a selective school, I'm now wondering if she's going to get through (her maths is good).

The tutor thought she might have a chance of a scholarship to an independent school when she first took my daughter on but now is also worried about how she's doing.

I can't work out whether the problem is
a) the papers are harder and daughter has reached limits of her ability
b) daughter feels under pressure to do the work in timed conditions so freezes and doesn't do her best
c) the tutor is hindering rather than helping

I'd appreciate any thoughts on what we can do to help. Time is limited as the grammar school tests are in October/November although the independents are not till January. Thanks in advance.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi

Try focusing on the positive aspects of her work and praising her at every opportunity. I would be certain that she is not spelling every word wrong, punctuating every sentence incorrectly etc.
Sometimes when a child is expected to perform at 100% for 100% of the time it can be demotivating.
When discussing issues with her tutor whilst your daughter is present ask the tutor to explain to you what she did right.

Regards

Mike
herewegoagain

Post by herewegoagain »

Thanks Mike. Very good advice. It's very easy to lose perspective especially in the London pressure cooker!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now