Spelling

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fairyelephant

Spelling

Post by fairyelephant »

Does anybody know whether a couple (or four!) of misspelt words in a creative writing piece would be heavily penalised?

My dd seems to be unable to write more than 2 sentences without making a mistake. Extensive reading hasn't really helped and any learnt words are soon forgotten.

Ds at same primary school is much better at spelling, he learnt to read with Ruth miskin method btw, which apparently breeds better spellers!
fizzypops

Re: Spelling

Post by fizzypops »

'Embarrassment' ? I don't know about creative writing specifically but this is a very commonly misspelt word. Hope this helps. FP
FP Fizzypops
maxengel

Post by maxengel »

I thing there must be an online training program, you just have to pay for it.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It depends which one you get wrong, getting were instead of where and their instead of there would be penalised as it is so very basic. DG
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

If you are give a spelling in the passage or question & then spell it wrong - that is a definite penalty. Homophones also need to be correctly spelt to convey your meaning so of & off, there, their & they're, etc would be marked down.

Depends on the school testing but most schools will not penalise for difficult spellings. The Latymer mark scheme says not to mark down for technical errors in the comprehension but looks and marks down for syntax errors in the creative writing section.
anxiousparent11plus

Post by anxiousparent11plus »

Is there any good vocabulary website for 11 plus ??
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now