Does reading always improve creative writing?

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
southbucks3

Re: Does reading always improve creative writing?

Post by southbucks3 »

pist wrote: She seems to struggle sorting her ideas out on her head and is a master of totally incoherent sentences and stories filled with irrelevant detail ending with "they all went home to bed" or "it was all just a dream" :roll: - good job she's a great mathematician!
Hey don't knock it...remember Dallas...she could be a multi millionaire script writer by this time next year. :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

southbucks3 wrote:
pist wrote: She seems to struggle sorting her ideas out on her head and is a master of totally incoherent sentences and stories filled with irrelevant detail ending with "they all went home to bed" or "it was all just a dream" :roll: - good job she's a great mathematician!
Hey don't knock it...remember Dallas...she could be a multi millionaire script writer by this time next year. :)
:lol:
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

That sounds so like my DS. He is a self taught reader (picking out words as soon as he could talk and reading fluently at 3) and always has at least 2 or 3 books "on the go" but his creative writing is dreadful. I know all the ideas are there in his head but he doesn't join things up for the reader and assumes they will just "get" what he is saying - and then he drops the story in mid air or ends with something completely nonsensical when he gets bored of it.

So you're telling me that a good selective school will not cure this, pist ...? I suspected as much :?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

So you're telling me that a good selective school will not cure this, pist ...? I suspected as much :?
Nope...nor will it cure them of swapping tense every third sentence, I find the only cure for this is rolling up the English or history book they have just written the codswallop into, and beating them with it. :lol: He thinks it is funny...I don't, it drives me bonkers!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Big readers here. One will write beautiful poems and got to final 2000 of 500 words comp last year (out of 72000), so very creative and sure it's the reading. Brother more into drawing the maps like you get in the fantasy books he favours.
pist

Post by pist »

Ahh yes, tense swapping. We have that one too! Maybe I'll try bashing harder next time. Could be where I've been going wrong all this time :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now