Roald Dahl stories

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
southbucks3

Roald Dahl stories

Post by southbucks3 »

My husband and I have recently started reading all the more obscure Dahl short stories together and with the children (where appropriate). We are having a great time, particularly as he lived very locally to us, so we recognise places and shops, and sometimes characters!

The latest story we read last night with the boys, taking it in turns at reading, was "the vicar of nibbleswicke" which actually had us all in hysterics, and was great for word/letter manipulation for ds3.

Dahl donated the proceeds from an auction of publishing rights to the dyslexic society, which was lovely.

The book had a few naughty words...namely p*s and krap (sic) which was part of a joke, that had us in hysterics.

I honestly recommend exploring these stories with older children. Our favourite do far is "ah sweet mystery of life" which if you live in south bucks is a must read...also as we discovered last week at a friends house, great for dinner party chat.

So really asking permission I suppose, is it ok to share some adult humour/ adult themed books with kids, and at what age? Can I read the tales of the unexpected stories unabridged? Obviously not "switch *****" btw
Yamin151

Re: Roald Dahl stories

Post by Yamin151 »

This is a great tip, thank you, will go look at them.

We have similar thoughts about appropriateness in our house. Our approach now the boys are ten has been to say that we are treating them as grown up enough to know that words like those mild swearing ones are not appropriate for general und and are only used to add drama to the story, that it is not a green flag for them to use them and if they do the we will know they are not grown up enough to be trusted. So far so good. THee are so many books they read now, hunger games, Charlie higson, Anthony Horowitz to name but a few, that use those words, that we felt it was better to deal with it as a family.
Likewise approach on films, and actually, in the last two weeks we have watched both airplane and naked gun, both rather puerile but boys laughed like drains (though I cringed at 'nice beaver' and the word 'di*do' which even my usual answer everything mode hoped they wouldn't ask about!!)