How do we use the Vocab books

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

VH73

Re: How do we use the AE Vocab books

Post by VH73 »

He's done the CGP 11+ Practice book Assessment tests (haven't done the proper ones yet).
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Back again. God, I hate these books. My son is Book 11. He can do the crossword but finds difficulty with the other two sections. I found the most efficient way is for me to take him through the two sections in a fun way. But i am ready to bin these books.
modernista

Post by modernista »

I feel these books combined with the reading may have helped my daughter do well in the Nonsuch exam. That was the first year they introduced English so we didnt have any notice tro prepare otherwise.
Well done for persevering. If your DC does not get a word, use this opportunity to discuss things around the subject. It all helps!
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Optimist wrote:Back again. God, I hate these books. My son is Book 11. He can do the crossword but finds difficulty with the other two sections. I found the most efficient way is for me to take him through the two sections in a fun way. But i am ready to bin these books.
Same here. I think that it may complicates the prep and confuse the little ones. My ds hated them and we binned them.
clearsky

Post by clearsky »

Building vocabulary is very difficult, we didn't use these books but did buy the schonell spelling books but soon got bored. We used variety of things to build vocabulary, Quizlet to make flash cards, freerice, reading lots, paper flash card turning them into games such as describing what the word means and other person guess the word. My ds gets bored very easily and also as English is our 2nd language we had to work very hard to increase his vocabulary. Its always good to try something new but if it doesn't work best to move on to something that your son will want to do, this will ensure he is learning more.
ontarget

Post by ontarget »

"He can do the crossword but finds difficulty with the other two sections."

I have been thinking of buying these books but there are lots of them and I don't want to buy them if they are difficult to get into and make use of. Can someone explain why these sections are difficult and whether it is worth buying them?
modernista

Post by modernista »

There are many levels so if you find one level difficult you can start with one below. I think if people try to do them too quickly they can be repetitive and stressy.
We did level 5 to final level (cany remember) over 9 months.
resrtr

Post by resrtr »

we did books 8-11 also the homonyms synonyms and antonyms books.its tough but it builds up vocabulary and inference and is a brain stretcher too,imo
um

Post by um »

To use the AE Vocab books:

Look through the words with your child. Google define as needed. Explain, Discuss.

Complete the crossword first - as you build letter clues it is easier. I'd just shout out all the clues like an army sergeant so they can get the answers in and get it done fast as my dear son would still be doing it tomorrow if I didn't.

Now let them fill in the sentences they know. And discuss the sentences they don't.

The really useful thing about AE Vocab is the discussion you can have with your child...about the words/topics/sentences/information....the more you talk about words and vocab with them, the better.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now