11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
motion

CEM Comprehension Vs MC Comprehension

Post by motion »

Hi Team,

I posted this in a another section... maybe more relevant here:

A Few weeks ago, while doing Multiple Choice (MC) English papers i.e. GL, BOND mc papers, I was advising my DS to take it easy, slow down, and read comprehensions thoroughly. This was very effective and managed to improve his English score.

Now comes the dillema with CEM type comprehenssions, like using the FPTP BK1 and BK 2 Comprehensions, with 12 minutes per paper, now I have to ask him to speed up and rush through the comprehensions and questions.

This means he has to forget everything I previously taught him re: slowing down etc ...

The danger with this is he will revert back to rushing through his comprehensions and start making mistakes when we go back to doing the (MC) English paper (50mins ones).

So, the question for the experts (non experts too), how do you approach this dillema?

How do you train your dragons to switch modes, when attempting CEM vs standard MC papers?

But then again for QE, there are two comprehensions, is it fair to assume they will still need to do the comprehensions in the standard MC paper in 12 minutes?

Please help..
All comments, advice welcome

Thanks and Warm Regards,

motion
berks_mum

Re: CEM Comprehension Vs MC Comprehension

Post by berks_mum »

motion, all I can say is - At this stage focus on accuracy. Speed will be an outcome of practice so try to do as many papers as you can and speed will build up on it's own.