Sharing our Reading List...

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moved

Re: Member Suggestions for Reading Material

Post by moved »

From the independent section

http://www.coletcourt.org.uk/admissions/joining-at-11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WorriedRuby

Post by WorriedRuby »

Hi,

Can anyone recommend books for senior school children?

Thanks
Amber

Post by Amber »

WorriedRuby wrote:Hi,

Thanks
No. :shock:
moved

Post by moved »

A great many from the reading list on the first page would be suitable for senior children.

Otherwise the teen section in most good bookshops is full of the sort of "rubbish" that teens enjoy.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Yes, I was being a bit disingenuous after spending Saturday cataloguing the other stuff (you and me both, moved).

Teenage tastes are so wide-ranging that it is hard to recommend anything across the board. If I listed my DC's favourites,others would be on here to contradict me (so what else is new?). Try asking the school - ours produces reading lists for KS3 and KS4. Then your DC can look through, grunt, say 'Not reading that. Boring' and other such quaint teen sayings; but at least it won't be your fault, for once.
moved

Post by moved »

Amber wrote:Yes, I was being a bit disingenuous after spending Saturday cataloguing the other stuff (you and me both, moved).
I can take no credit for the hard work on Saturday night. Mine just involved finding and tidying a book list that I made a couple of years ago.

Teen reading is really up to them and school. Mine have recently read all sorts of things both quality and pulp. Much in the way most of us do as adults.

I would recommend a good newspaper and leave it to your individual political ideals to choose which one.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

WorriedRuby wrote:Hi,

Thanks

Apart from what is recommended above: particularly suited to boys (although, I loved reading them at that age) are the Adventure Series by Willard Price. Well-written and just as entertaining as the usual sought-after fantasy / vampire, espionage and horror fiction these days. Suitable also for Y5 /6 children.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

When Hitler Stole the Pink Rabbit, Judith Kerr, 1971
I loved this book. I've been wanting to get it for my dcs but couldn't remember what it was called. Thank you. :D
Also good reads were little house on the prairie,the canal children and anne of green gables.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Here are some authors that my DD enjoyed at the beginning at her senior years, besides Ann of Green Gables which is a serie of books and films that we both enjoyed greatly :D

Their books tend to deal with modern days issues ( a bit like Morpurgo!) and are not fantastic tales or stories about spys ... so to read them is really a matter of taste...

Elisabeth Laird.
Amongst many books, DD read for example:

- Kiss the dust (the story of how a Kurdish family fled Iraq to escape persecution by the government.)

- A little piece of ground (about the Palestine-Israel conflict)

- Red sky in the morning (story about a girl called Anna. It unfolds with the delivery of her physically and mentally disabled baby brother, Benedict. Although Ben suffered from a disease called "Hydrocephalus" - the source of his disability and physical deformity, Anna loved him nonetheless, in fact, all the more. Further development in the story saw how she overcome and cope with the fear of facing and telling her friends and teachers about Ben's disability)

http://www.elizabethlaird.co.uk/books_01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joan Lingard
Wrote also many books. To understand the Northern Ireland conflict, we really enjoyed reading the quintet about Kevin and Sadie story. The first two books of this serie are:
The Twelfth Day of July
Across the Barricades
The librarian will able to tell you about the following titles.

But Lingard wrote also about many other issues...
Her website is: http://joanlingard.co.uk/children.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rachag

Post by rachag »

One of the Booker judges said her daughter, 12 yo, had read the shortlisted 'Room' by emma Donahoe 5 times and would not forgive her mother that it did not win. One part describes witnessed(heard) intimacy though so my DD prob not ready for that yet. I certainly liked it and prob fine for most early teens.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now