How to inspire a child to read?

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Re: How to inspire a child to read?

Post by doodles »

"Socks Are Not Enough" by Mark Lowery

" I used to be like any other 14 year old boy. I used to lead an averagely happy life. But now I live in a tent in the garden, surviving on custard creams. Why? Well what would you do if you discovered your parents were nudists, planning on going public?"

Ds2 (yr9 but a summer boy) has just read this book in one sitting - unheard of for him as he's more a fact book boy, I even heard him chuckling. It's definitely not highbrow but it hooked him. I haven't read it myself so can't personally vouch for it but it has won several teen book prizes. Just though I'd mention it as I know how hard it can be to find book for those that are not naturally drawn to fiction.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

DD2 has read White Fang this week. Definitely one for improving vocab. as I have felt like a living dictionary all week!
It was slightly forced on her by school as they all had to choose a classic book - but she has thoroughly enjoyed it.
salsa

Post by salsa »

My son and I had a long wait in public the other day and were reading Grandpa's Great Escape by David Walliams. It was a particularly funny chapter and we were laughing out loud. It made me laugh so much that I had tears streaming down! People were looking at us, but didn't ask us what it was and as we were using an iPad it wasn't obvious what it was. Good vocabulary and hilarious.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

We love David Walliams books - can definitely see why he has made far more money writing than from being a comedian.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

White Fang! Used by Highgate this year as their comprehension text, though incredibly they attributed the passage to The Call of The Wild. Come on English Department at Highgate! Even though these books are frequently bundled together the themes are the direct opposite.

This is a terrific book and I am very impressed that she not only chose it but persevered with it, the opening few pages are challenging. Lots of students completely miss what the "brown box" actually is. There is much to be soaked up from London's language. She should try The Call of the Wild now, I think she would like Buck. I have written comprehension papers on both books and my White Fang one is considered to be my hardest paper out of 150 including many Dickens Bronte, Austen, Twain, RL Stevenson, FH Burnett & HG Wells (though Dombey and Our Mutual Friend come close) DG
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Yes, will definitely encourage her to read Call of the Wild, although out of the two White Fang was always my favourite!
On the top of my list to read is Lorna Doone. My Dad told me this was the first proper novel he read as a child, and remained a firm favourite of his until he died last year. Bizarrely I have never read it, and his copy is now beckoning me.
ginx

Post by ginx »

I must have been on a similar thread, but I can't get my ds2, in year 5, to read either.

Somebody suggested the Hunger Games. He was here reading over my shoulder (asking what "ds2" was!) but I am now reading him the Hunger Games at night, it's good for both of us. He hasn't seen the film but knows it's full of killing. I'm only reading a page or so a night, I'm reading it slowly, discussing it - it will probably take all year to finish it. He is 10, and it seems a bit old to be reading to him (I stopped reading to his sister when she was 7, but she was an avid reader even then).

I can see him watching the words as I read, deliberately slowly ... and I'm hoping one day he will pick the book up and read a page to himself.

Whether it is helping him or not, we are both enjoying it, he reminds me every night to read.

So I recommend the Hunger Games for anybody with a boy who is not interested in reading.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

The Bear Grylls fiction series about Beck Granger have been a good find for us.

They have enough non-fiction/survival element to encourage readers who prefer non-fiction but the storyline is pretty good as well.

http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/w ... oCSVbw_wcB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
salsa

Post by salsa »

We are still reading to our boys, now 10 and 13. My husband read, to my horror, all of the Hunger Games books to them a couple of years ago. I thought they were horrible as a bedtime story, but they enjoyed them. Gruesome but plenty to talk about and good vocabulary. They watched the films later.
salsa

Post by salsa »

loobylou wrote:The Bear Grylls fiction series about Beck Granger have been a good find for us.

They have enough non-fiction/survival element to encourage readers who prefer non-fiction but the storyline is pretty good as well.

http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/w ... oCSVbw_wcB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi Loobylou,

Thanks for this. My children are big Bear Grylls fans. I've found some at my library. Do they have to be read in order?

Thanks you.