Comprehension

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pimmsoclock

Comprehension

Post by pimmsoclock »

Hi All

My daughter has just practised her first comprehension paper and insisted in writing out full sentences. Is this necessary or can she just put bullet points? I'm sure she'll run out of time if not.

Also, there is a section where the student needs to carry on the story. I thought hers was brilliant but wondering what the 25 points are actually for? How do they mark it?

Many thanks for any advice.
Daogroupie

Re: Comprehension

Post by Daogroupie »

Which school are you applying for? Was this a past paper for the school? You need to write in full sentences and certainly not bullet points. An English paper is a test of how well a candidate is able to express themselves.

Habs boys sometimes has a section where it states that you do not have to answer in full sentences and then another section when you do. Unless they tell you that you do not have to you always need to.

On the Creative Writing it will be marked on the use of KS2 punctuation, sentence structure and literary devices and the ability to create a plot that logically follows on from the story. She also needs to follows all the instructions that are there. You would be astonished by how many students ignore what they have been told to do and do something completely different. DG
pimmsoclock

Post by pimmsoclock »

Thanks so much for your helpful reply! I should have known my daughter would be right!

It was a DAO paper and there are only a couple of lines for each answer. She is writing more than the lines allow.

For the creative writing, I'm finding it difficult to know what to tell her to improve as I don't know exactly what the marks are for. She's using different sentence structures and the plot definitely continues the story. By literary devices, do you mean similes etc too?

It text was from The Pearl btw.

DD has told me she gets the highest marks in comprehension at school, but she thinks it's because she puts as much as she can into each answer to cover herself.
piggys

Post by piggys »

A continuation will only be effective if it sustains the sense of character and setting; plot is only half the task. It is far better to write about fewer 'events', keeping the plot minimal, and to really develop the characters and the atmosphere. There is quite a lot of mysticism and folklore in the extract you have referred to OP, so your dd would do well to reflect that in her extension.
enema

Post by enema »

Pimmsoclock, we were a bit unsure about the marking scheme for creative writing too.

With marks of between 20 and 25 per creative writing, we assumed approx. 5 marks would be awarded for each of content/structure, grammar, vocab, spelling and sentence structure.

For content, dd aimed to show her writing was a relevant continuation, or followed the given title and had a beginning, middle and end/conclusion. For vocab, we encouraged dd to identify the atmospheric/emotional theme and use related vocab accordingly. For sentence structure, dd aimed to include a few 'tools' such as similies etc to demonstrate ability to use appropriately. Grammar aimed to show ability to capitalise, use colons, paragraphing etc.

It is a bit formulaic and only how we approached it. Encouraged her to write a quick plan on spare paper to ensure nothing was forgotten.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now