English IGCSE Books (Y8-Y11)?

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Miro

English IGCSE Books (Y8-Y11)?

Post by Miro »

My son used to have a very good tutor (y6) that helped him to excel in English. He was like two years ahead of his peers. Unfortunately she doesn't teach his new age group. I am a bit worried that he won't keep the same level of progress.

Any recommendations for good ENGLISH books preparing for IGCSE please ?
Daogroupie

Re: English IGCSE Books (Y8-Y11)?

Post by Daogroupie »

What year is he in now? DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Just out of idle curiosity, why do you feel that he needs to be kept two years ahead of his year group in order to do well at school? Or, why does he need to do extra work on top of what is being taught to the whole class? Is the teaching at the school particularly poor?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
piggys

Post by piggys »

Yes that was my question as well Toadmum. I think being artificially pushed to the point where you are 'two years' ahead of your school year is completely pointless. Counterproductive, in fact.

If your ds is prepping for IGCSE he is at a private school (unless you are abroad) so clearly you're not getting your money's worth! Is the teaching really so awful? Perhaps he'd be better off in the public sector.
Miro

Post by Miro »

Thanks all for your replies.
I don't want to get involved in a debate about schools or why I would like him to keep the standard he reached. Enough to say that English isn't my first language and that my dd's career has been affected because of her English in spite that she has been selected for 4 years (during her secondary school) as a gifted & talented student in science and her class did their Maths GCSE a year early ... In all cases sorry that I won't discuss why but I would be grateful for any recommendations about good IGCSE English books (Y8 and above).
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What board will be doing? The IGCSE English boards are quite different from each other. DG
Miro

Post by Miro »

Thank you DG!

According to their website "Examining Boards" are:
Year 10: Edexcel
Year 11: Cambridge International Examinations

I will double-check with the school on Monday.
Last edited by Miro on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You'll need to know which board his year group will be taking as this could change.
Miro

Post by Miro »

Thank you Guest55. I will ask the school.

I think there might be some English books that would help to prepare for different boards. In year 10 students should definitely use books written for their exam boards.

If anyone knows about English PRE-IGCSE or IGCSE books (Edexcel or Cambridge International Examination), PLEASE let me know. Thanks
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

If you go on the website named after a Brazilian river and google" IGSCE English Edexcel " some books and one with a CD come up in the book section some of these maybe what you are looking for.In some of the books you can sometimes open pages to see what type of content they contain.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln