Dd still struggling with English comprehension

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Middlesexmum

Re: Dd still struggling with English comprehension

Post by Middlesexmum »

DG that is easier said than done especially with a strong-willed child! What shall I do, clear out her bookshelf of all the trash? Her use of vocabulary and writing is excellent, her teacher is very impressed with the language she uses.

I don't want to make this into a battle. Reading should be pleasurable and enjoyable, if I dictate to her what books she is not allowed to read it will go down like a lead balloon and she will be less enthused to put the work in.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Daogroupie wrote:
Walliams is just one big dumb down. They should be challenged by their reading material. Reading material at this point in Y5 is absolutely critical.
But it doesn't have to be one thing or another. As long as they are being challenged by their reading material there is also room for a bit of trash occasionally.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Has her teacher ever seen a English CEM paper and the level of vocabulary in it?

What a primary school teacher thinks is excellent and what gets high marks in an English CEM paper can be two different things.

You mention she really liked Watford girls but how much?

Luckily you don't need Comprehension for Watford girls but you will need great vocabulary for the CEM paper at SW Herts.

I know whole schools where not one student got through the CEM at DAO which is the same CEM as SW Herts.

There is no mark you have to get in CEM for SW Herts but it is added to the Maths to make a total mark and that is the mark you need to be as high as possible. Are you outer catchment?

CEM in North London has really changed in the last few years. It is really about little and often with quality rather than with material that will not help her grasp advanced comprehension. NCLS, Habs and St Helens will all require implicit references so you are better off sorting the CEM vocab than facing the long journey that is involved in the comprehension that will be involved at these schools. DG
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Thank you DG, you speak sense but it's very hard persuading a stubborn 10 year old!

She is going to an 11+ tuition centre and as part of the weekly homework, they have 3 words to find definitions of along with synonyms and antonyms.

Yes we are outer catchment, think yesterday's cut-off was 230 but it will obviously go down lower in the coming months. Plus there is an extra class at Watford Girls which is a slight help. I'm hoping she will get at least 230 to be in with a good chance. There is still 6 months to go and she is working hard.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now