Difference between GL and CEM

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dollydripmat

Difference between GL and CEM

Post by Dollydripmat »

Hi

It's just been aounnced from September 2018 Bucks will convert back to GL. Can anyone explain the differences on VR /English /Comprehension? With CEM the comprehension is multiple choice is this the same for GL? Will there be antonyms/synonyms? Is timing just as crucial ? My eldest did CEM and now my youngest will be doing GL. Any advice would be much appreciated as I have no experience of GL. Thanks Dolly x
Tinkers

Re: Difference between GL and CEM

Post by Tinkers »

There was another thread on this.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=50502" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have a look and see if that helps.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think the advice on your other thread was not to panic, and to wait & see what GL come up with. It won't necessarily be anything like other GL tests. Guest55's advice was good - keep reading and doing times tables. A year will be more than enough time to prepare.
scary mum
babs

Post by babs »

Is Nonsuch High School GL or CEM, Tiffin too please.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Looking at the links on this page to recommended practice materials it looks like GL https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... ey-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but someone who knows the schools better may have more insight.
squareofthewicket

Post by squareofthewicket »

babs wrote:Is Nonsuch High School GL or CEM, Tiffin too please.
Based on my DD's experience, I would stick my head out and say neither. Both schools set their own paper so decide the content themselves.

If you are looking for similarities between their papers (again my DD's experience of sitting the exams in 2017), the format of the papers are more like GL; in that there are no individual timed sections, which you cannot go back to. The whole paper is timed and the DC can go back to any part of the subject paper during duration of that paper. They can choose to answer questions in any order they so choose.

You can get sections in the paper which can resemble the CEM style VR. The reason why I said the format is neither GL nor CEM.