Creative Writing - What if they don't know topic/person?

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

34drive

Creative Writing - What if they don't know topic/person?

Post by 34drive »

Hi, I have a last minute question about the creative writing. My son sits the test next week in Medway and the creative writing section counts as 2/5 of the test. I'm wondering, if the topic was to write about a sports personality, a famous person or someone from the royal family etc and they had no clue - how would they survive the task? I'm trying to go through with my son some hot topics but what if it's something he didn't know? Perhaps I'm over worrying but I know Medway have given topics other than story writing in the past; interview, arguments etc. I'm just trying to prep him but struggling to tell him how to blag his way if hedidn't know lol. Any advice greatly welcome! Thanks.
Daogroupie

Re: Creative Writing - What if they don't know topic/person?

Post by Daogroupie »

It will be something that a ten year old can write about.

I am sure he can think of a famous person to write about. He will have learned about famous people in History in primary school.

He will have done other forms of writing such as newspaper article, diary, letter , advert at school already.

All the other ten years old will be in the same position.

It is important to use KS2 punctuation and vary the sentence structure and describe places and people. Try not to use baby KS1 words such as nice, got, get, saw, looked, said, walked, ran and run and use CEM words and more challenging vocabulary generally.

Read First News and watch the news and weather and talk about the stories with him. DG
34drive

Re: Creative Writing - What if they don't know topic/person?

Post by 34drive »

Thanks Daogroupie. Yes, he has his famous people he can refer to and a sports personality etc. It's just last minute panic and what ifs! Plenty of news stories this weekend I think. Roll on Wednesday afternoon.

Thanks for the tips.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now