Creative Writing-St Olaves

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

achalla

Creative Writing-St Olaves

Post by achalla »

Hi

My son is starting yr5 in Sept 2017 and will be writing 11 plus in Sept 2018.
We are aiming for St Olaves. Can someone share tips and advises about this? How to draw a mind map/plan of the story.
We seem to be finding writing part hard.

Thanks in advance.
grgygirl

Re: Creative Writing-St Olaves

Post by grgygirl »

It is important to have a clear structure (beginning, middle and end) and we looked at keeping the story/continue the passage as simple as possible by introducing a mild dilemma that is then resolved. Concentrate on 'wow' words for vocabulary - 'the crimson sky burned fiercely' (use metaphors/similes etc). My ds wrote initially in a very formulaic way which worked for him and then evolved into more creative text as time went on.

St Olaves had poetry analysis last year. We took out several standard poetry books from the library and looked on google for the analysis of these to see what should be picked out. Standard poetical themes are love, death, growing old, being young, seasonal changes etc. Look at the simpler works of Ted Hughes, Sylvi Plath etc. Again pick out emotions, language devices, metaphors. The creative writing magic money cards (google) were useful for starting creative writing and we used a group tutor as well. St Olaves had a passage for the comprehension last year and then for the creative writing part, you had to imagine you were the main character from the passage ( in hospital). Ds wrote about the room, the colours (put in a metaphor), the smells, used similes, feelings/emotions. You only get about 30 minutes to write around a page and a half so every paragraph has to have impact.
Top tip is to practise writing every single week. Ds went from a paragraph in 45 mins at the end of year 4 to a page and a half of good writing in 30 minutes by Nov of Year 6.
Pm me for the tutor we used if you need to.
RMS

Post by RMS »

Please do let me know of the tutor that your child had-I havent been able to find a good one till now.I am hoping my son will be writing Olaves round 2 exam in November this year :roll:
vibhakataria123

Post by vibhakataria123 »

Grgygirl, please share your tutor details as my son is preparing and will appear in 2018.
Halber

Post by Halber »

grgygirl wrote:It is important to have a clear structure (beginning, middle and end) and we looked at keeping the story/continue the passage as simple as possible by introducing a mild dilemma that is then resolved. Concentrate on 'wow' words for vocabulary - 'the crimson sky burned fiercely' (use metaphors/similes etc). My ds wrote initially in a very formulaic way which worked for him and then evolved into more creative text as time went on.

St Olaves had poetry analysis last year. We took out several standard poetry books from the library and looked on google for the analysis of these to see what should be picked out. Standard poetical themes are love, death, growing old, being young, seasonal changes etc. Look at the simpler works of Ted Hughes, Sylvi Plath etc. Again pick out emotions, language devices, metaphors. The creative writing magic money cards (google) were useful for starting creative writing and we used a group tutor as well. St Olaves had a passage for the comprehension last year and then for the creative writing part, you had to imagine you were the main character from the passage ( in hospital). Ds wrote about the room, the colours (put in a metaphor), the smells, used similes, feelings/emotions. You only get about 30 minutes to write around a page and a half so every paragraph has to have impact.
Top tip is to practise writing every single week. Ds went from a paragraph in 45 mins at the end of year 4 to a page and a half of good writing in 30 minutes by Nov of Year 6.
Pm me for the tutor we used if you need to.
Can you please PM me your tutor's detail. Many thanks
spidergirl

Post by spidergirl »

@grgygirl please can you share the tutor details. Not sure how to send you PM as im new to the forum.
Moderators

Post by Moderators »

We try to keep the forum as safe as possible - we don't allow tutors or tutoring organisations (other than school/PTA and non-commercial organisations) to be openly recommended, because it attracts posts with fake recommendations ('dodgy' advertising solely designed to solicit business on the internet).
It is also not unknown for unscrupulous competitors to 'plant' negative posts, seeking to denigrate the opposition!

Genuine recommendations from forum members by PM only (private message) are permitted - but be aware of the possibility that someone who appears to be a 'helpful parent' offering advice may not be all they seem! There could be an ulterior motive.

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with great caution.
However, we have many long standing members - check carefully the date of joining and number of posts - who make a very valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a private recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering.

Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'.
It's easy to report a possible problem - just click on the red exclamation mark that appears with every post and PM: Image

Note:
  • • Institutional Course details can be found here

• Intensive Holiday Courses can be found here
Kind regards

ForumAdmin