Worried on school opinion

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Parent2019

Worried on school opinion

Post by Parent2019 »

Hi

My child goes to private school in year 5. and preparing for 11plus.
School saying don't let your child to sit for 11 plus as his comprehension is weak.
he should be at 120 marks level but he is at 90 marks so he will fail.
Now I am very confused and worried.
1. I don't know what level usually children get in year 5?

2. how they are measuring? I know they take comprehension assessment but I know they are extremely hard papers.
3. should i go by what school saying and not to prepare for 11 plus ?
4. How do i improve comprehension fast as now so much pressure of all subjects.

I am stuggling to understand is it really serious issue of mark 90? or its just very high expectation from school?

please help..
streathammum

Re: Worried on school opinion

Post by streathammum »

Goodness. It doesn't seem very helpful from the school to say that your child is struggling then not give you any more advice other than 'don't sit the 11+'.

Can I ask whether your DS's current school is primary only? Because it sounds almost like they're trying to discourage you from applying for 11+ admission in order to keep your son at the school.

If the problem is they genuinely think he'd struggle at 11+ you need to talk to them about what's happening. Is this the first time they've suggested his academic performance is weak? Or has there been a recent deterioration in his performance? What support are they giving him in his comprehension? What do they recommend you do to support him in this at home?

I don't really see how the school can state with certainty that a child would 'fail' an 11+ exam at this stage in Y5 when most exams are still 8-9 months away.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There are Y5 students who will ace all their 11 plus exams who have not even started preparing yet.

So for your school to say now that he will fail is just not true as he has plenty of time to get better.

Are you talking about state 11 plus in September or private 11 plus in January?

Is the school talking about one particular school or all schools?

DG
Parent2019

Post by Parent2019 »

Thanks for your replies. its private primary school.

I am preparing for state grammer schools. Comprehension is not his strong area. I am concerned on school opinion. I don't know what to do?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

How much does your primary school actually know about the state grammars you wish to sit?

Which grammars will you be sitting?

You need to give us the data so we can help you.

What are you actually paying for in your private primary school?

Are they not planning to help your ds improve his comprehension? DG
squareofthewicket

Post by squareofthewicket »

When you say it is the school saying, is it the Head or your DC's form tutor or their English teacher?

If your DC goes to a Prep or Private Primary school, they have to change the school at Year 7. If the school is advising you against sitting your DC for the 11+ for State Grammar Schools. Has the school suggested any Independent Secondary schools?

I am speculating now - but maybe you have a DS in a prep school which goes up to Year 8 (13+) ?
Any good prep school and its head should have had discussions with each parent individually as to the possibilities for future schools for the DC.
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Parent2019 wrote:Hi

My child goes to private school in year 5. and preparing for 11plus.
School saying don't let your child to sit for 11 plus as his comprehension is weak.
he should be at 120 marks level but he is at 90 marks so he will fail.
Now I am very confused and worried.
1. I don't know what level usually children get in year 5?

2. how they are measuring? I know they take comprehension assessment but I know they are extremely hard papers.
3. should i go by what school saying and not to prepare for 11 plus ?
4. How do i improve comprehension fast as now so much pressure of all subjects.

I am stuggling to understand is it really serious issue of mark 90? or its just very high expectation from school?

please help..
100 is the average/pass mark for year 6 SATs which is what I presume they are referring to. I would say a mark of 90 at this stage in year 5 is fine and ok for 11+ consideration. As a comparison my dd2 who doesn’t go to grammar school was scoring 83 at the start of year 6 in one area by the end she had 110.
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Very few children score 120
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now