Last minute advice for comprehension

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scaredmum

Last minute advice for comprehension

Post by scaredmum »

Hello everyone I'm new to this board but just wanted to ask if there's any last minute advice to help with comprehension. It's DD's weakest area. Tried to address the issue but she's not an avid reader and I think that's really the key to success. So in the absence of getting her to read non-stop (!) a week before the test- any tips? Thank you!
Mum2019

Re: Last minute advice for comprehension

Post by Mum2019 »

My suggestion would be (between I have similar challenges :wink: ) :

Thinking and going through the techniques that works for her and amending where necessary - Speed/Understanding/Inferences/Plot(what/where/who/why ..etc) , simple annotation for bigger comprehensions (if she had to refer back) or what ever works for her.

Then doing 1 or 2 exercises per day , applying these techniques and amending based on what works for it - Suggest medium size but at the complexity level expected for 11 plus - CGP paper exercise ? Hardly 10-15 min per each one.

The real value would be going through with her - each line and discussing her understanding against what was asked / answered but also any new vocab ..etc. And finally reassuring that she will be alright.

My 2 pence :roll:
scaredmum

Re: Last minute advice for comprehension

Post by scaredmum »

Thanks for the practical and very doable advice. Good luck to you and your child. :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now