GL Grammar Question

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mumili

GL Grammar Question

Post by mumili »

GL English Pack 3, Paper 7, Q20:
'They gave him a little piece of raw meat. Rikki-tikki liked it immensely, and when it was finished he went out into the veranda and sat in the sun and fluffed up his fur to make it dry to the roots.'

How many adverbs are there in this sentence?
A) one
B) two
C) three
D) four
E) five
Answer: A

'Immensely' is an adverb, so that's one.
I thought the word 'out' (as in 'he went out') is an adverb - a place adverb that tells the location, similar to 'indoors' as in 'He went indoors.' That makes two. The answers should be B, no?

Could you also please parse 'when' and 'to' (as in 'to make it dry')?
The book 'First Aid in English' lists the words 'when', 'where', and 'how' as 'Questioning Adverbs'. As an example they have 'When did you see him?' and the word 'when' is highlighted as an adverb. In that case, the answer should be C.

DS went with A, which is the correct answer, and I did not want to confuse him with the stuff above, but could not resist posting it here.

Thanks
Mummycares

Re: GL Grammar Question

Post by Mummycares »

Your son is correct, only ‘immensely’ is an adverb and ‘ went out’ is a phrasal verb while ‘when’ is a conjunction. I did look it up as I was intrigued by your post.
When I have issued like those with my son, I ask him why he picked his answer and not mine. I learnt a lot from him while he was preparing for his 11+. If we cannot agree we google it and choose reliable sources to get the answer. I don’t have a reference book for English but I do use First Past the Post for Maths for formulae and conversions.
Hope it helps :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now