English Comprehension questions..

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

Re: English Comprehension questions..

Post by ToadMum »

thisisnuts wrote:
yoyo123 wrote:If they are old Sats papers, the marking scheme is very specific about what can and can’t be accepted.
I hope 11+ marking isn't so prescriptive.

I'd be delighted if my DD gave the same answers as OP's DD to Q's 1 and 2.
Possibly not number 3, though, because it really is just wrong, I'm afraid.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

With the first one, the word in bold can't be replaced by your daughter's choice though can it? It would read "she took refuge TO... " instead of "she took refuge IN...".
I would also have assumed that was incorrect (though am happy to be advised they are not that prescriptive?)
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

I agree yes, but in terms of looking at the word in bold, albeit in the context of what was written, I'd have thought that to retreat somewhere, could be argued as being similar to taking refuge somewhere. And given we are talking about a 10 year old here...it does seem harsh to simply mark it wrong, without any explanation or half way merit!

As for the Bougainvillea question, the question asked what did the children think it might be..in the context of what was written. 'The white walls of the veranda...the bougainvillea hung about it..in livid balloons'...and she thought of hanging baskets of flowers, which to be fair is not too far off track for a 10 year old? Some of the kids wrote 'decorations', and one child thought it was a scary animal.... am guessing there were no half marks awarded there either :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now