How to get quicker at comprehension

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jess

How to get quicker at comprehension

Post by Jess »

Hi all
Can anyone help? My DD is good at comprehension, reads a lot, has a wide vocabulary etc but she's currently too slow when doing comprehension exercises. A 1-hour comprehension paper is currently taking her 1 hour 20/30 minutes.
She'll be taking exams in January, so we have plenty of time to practice, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how she can speed up?
Thanks in advance
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi Jess,

I found tutoring math’s, VR and NVR much easier with my kids as they break down into skills or question types, comprehension and speedy comprehension is a much more difficult skill.

I purchased this book,

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... 3D6%23b339

Was scared at how involved it was so decided to use one trick at a time, we worked on identifying key information as you read.

Speeding up? What is slowing her down, reading the text, reading the questions, going back to the text to find the information? One thing I noticed slowing my son was lack of confidence, he would find the answer and then double check and confuse himself. :shock: Asking the student to think and talk outloud helps.

Inferred comprehension is really hard to teach, bit like code breaking without any rules. :) .

You are on the right track, identify the challenge and then work towards a solution, good luck. :)

steve
Jess

Post by Jess »

Thanks Steve. I think she is trying to 'craft' her answers too much-she really enjoys creative writing, and I suspect she's taking too much time making them read really well rather than concentrating on just conveying the correct info, if you see what I mean. She also writes very carefully and neatly (her handwriting is very small) and again I think this is slowing her up.
Thanks for the link to the book; I'll get it and work through it with her.
Jess
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I think I see what you mean. Is she almost reinventing the wheel? She is perhaps rephrasing answers rather than writing out the phrases directly from the text which are the answers to the questions?
That would definitely be wasting lots of time unnecessarily.