Year 4 - What to prepare ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Parent2019

Year 4 - What to prepare ?

Post by Parent2019 »

Hello ..

I am new this forum.My son will give 11 plus exam near year - 2019.
Can you please guide me what preparation I need to get it done this year ?

What changes are coming for Slough consortium - 11 plus ?

Appreciate your help on this.
Aethel

Re: Year 4 - What to prepare ?

Post by Aethel »

Hi... if your son is in year 4 now, you have plenty of time to help him prepare.

I am guessing from your grammar that you may have English as a second language (children “take” the 11 plus rather than “giving” it). Many parents for whom English us a second language place their confidence in seeking a tutor for their children, as some of the material involves grammar and linguistics, subtle spellings and words that a non-native speaker may find difficult. However, do not feel you must pay for tutoring: before you decide to do this, look and read the many past threads on here about “DIY” (do it yourself) preparation. An able child with a parent who has time and dedication can prepare for the 11 plus perfectly well. You can buy home books (CGP is a good brand: presently you want the “CEM-style” books for Slough exams. Try “10 minute tests for CEM” from CGP for a taster of the sorts of things to check. There are also work books: while not a formal “syllabus” they are good to give you an idea.

Many folk who pick the tutor route start at the beginning of year 5: BUT this is not effort free for parents and sometimes the larger class tutor systems just load the childen up with hundreds of worksheets (that the parents must mark!) and don’t actually check understanding. One of my friends sent her DS to a tutor centre and there were 22 children in the “group”.

I have DIY’d my DC and for us it was the right decision.
Parent2019

Post by Parent2019 »

Thank you so much for your reply. Its really useful...I will search the books you suggested.
I am thinking of tutor for my son. I prefer 1:1 sessions than group. I agree with you, there are many group tuitions out there to load with worksheets.

If any one knows English tutor in slough please let me know. recommendations by PM only please - moderator
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Ok so I'm going to say it... he's in year 4 why are you worrying about tutoring him yet?
I would advise letting him be a blissfully unaware child until the end of 2018..
possibly do some research yourself but nothing with DC.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

stroudydad wrote:Ok so I'm going to say it... he's in year 4 why are you worrying about tutoring him yet?
I would advise letting him be a blissfully unaware child until the end of 2018..
possibly do some research yourself but nothing with DC.
+1

Maybe tighten up the times tables and encourage reading for pleasure but I'd say nothing formal until Y5.
Parent2019

Post by Parent2019 »

Thanks you so much for reply,,,
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now