Chance of getting into a Bucks school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
readingmummy786

Chance of getting into a Bucks school

Post by readingmummy786 »

Hello everyone,
I have registered my daughter for the Buckinghamshire test (as well as the Berkshire one) but apparently they have changed their assessment to the GL format We live in Tilehurst Reading, so almost more than 15 miles away and I just wanted to know if it is really worth sitting the test knowing that the format is different and it is less likely to get in because of how far away we live? If anyone is in the same boat and is going ahead with the examination, I would be very happy if you could shed some light on this situation!
Guest55

Re: Chance of getting into a Bucks school

Post by Guest55 »

Places are allocated on distance should your child qualify. Have you checked recent allocation distances here:

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=54212" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I'm afraid the answer is that your daughter has no chance at all of gaining a place. The last time a child from Reading received a place at a Bucks GS was in 2015, and it was probably only one child.

You can view the statistics for yourself here - look at the sheets "Grammar School Allocations by Location" for 2015 - 2018:
https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/edu ... tatistics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you have looked at that, please take a few moments to actively withdraw her from the Bucks test. There is huge pressure on testing places, and simply allowing her to be a "no show" on the day is a waste of public funds.

Good luck to her with the Berks test though.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Even those in Earley (so mostly Wokingham children) have no real chance of a place tbh (I think some years there’s the odd one managing to scrape a place, but I’ll have a look at S-A’s link to check) , so Tilehurst really doesn’t stand any chance at all.

Several years ago, some children in the East Reading/Earley area got places at Burnham grammar, but that hasn’t happened for quite a few years.

Now it’s a different test to the Kendrick/Reading/Slough test as well, so there’s definitely no point putting your child in for the Bucks test, you’d have to prepare them for two different types of test. There’s no point adding additional stress to your child when there no chance of a place.
readingmummy786

Post by readingmummy786 »

Thank you Tinkers, Guest 55 and Sally-Anne for your replies, they were very helpful. Me and my husband will probably withdraw our daughter from the Bucks test, it seems that it would be pointless to make her sit it if there is literally no chance of her gaining a place! Thanks again for you help :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now