Herschel

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rameshvvv

Herschel

Post by Rameshvvv »

Hi Any advise for Herschel Grammar school best place to move in.
my Daughter is in #1 in waiting list(as on 12/5/21) what are the Chances(Hoping she will get it)
any transport from Reading or from Basingstoke.
Thanks in advances.
mad?

Re: Herschel

Post by mad? »

The train from Reading to Slough is quick, but you'd need to live near the station and I'm not sure how far Herschel is hereafter.
Basingstoke would be an appalling journey.
I'm not sure if I have understood your question correctly but if you are thinking of moving I would suggest Slough would be a good place to start?
mad?
Birdie21

Post by Birdie21 »

Hi ,

We are in a similar position ! My DS got the offer from Herschel and we are looking for some good areas to live in (currently living in Harrow) . Shortlisted the following areas :
Langley
Stoke Poges
Farnham Royal
Cippenham

Would like to hear suggestions from any parents who can shed some light on where to live in Slough - keeping Herschel in mind !
@Rameshvvv - All the best and hope your DD will get through :) !
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It will very much depend what you are looking for in terms of size, price etc.
Stoke Poges & parts of Farnham Royal (and Farnham Common which you don't mention, but is another possibility, probably more convenient than Stoke Poges). Cippenham and the Farnham Road area (also not mentioned, but I guess it's the southern end of Farnham Royal) will be cheaper, but not so nice (I don't know all parts of them of course, in case I'm offending anyone!). Langley wouldn't be terribly convenient, so if you are moving to be near the school I would discount that.
Burnham is another option, although I don't know about transport from there.
ETA: will you be looking for primary schools for other children, in which case you need to consider those, as well as other senior schools for other children in the future?
scary mum
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Langley is good to live in but not convenient for Hershel as the A4 traffic is awful and Hershel is too far from Slough station to be a practical route.
There were a few Langley friends (much older) whose boys took a minibus but it’s very unusual now as most Langley children who pass 11 plus go to Langley Grammar, St Bernard’s or Upton as so much easier to get to.

Farnham Road area (manor park) tends to be high density smaller houses so depents on your budget and desire for garden: Cippenham is a nicer area. Burnham is also nice but v expensive because of crossrail and not that close to Hershel itself (which is at the base of the farnham road).
vamirtha

Post by vamirtha »

As there is discussion on locations. can i have some suggestions for areas to live in , so we can get to Upton court please.
Thank you
Birdie21

Post by Birdie21 »

Thank you all for your valuable inputs ! The search is still on :| !
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now