Hillingdon resident

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scary mum

Re: Hillingdon resident

Post by scary mum »

How far from Burnham are you (straight line distance)?I think you are too far away for Burnham, don't waste your energies on putting your DC through the test - stress for both of you, and a waste of a place on the CAF.
scary mum
2020D2022S

Post by 2020D2022S »

Proud-Dad wrote: Thank you for your reply. We live very close to Dawley Road. Maybe a couple minutes walk.

We will put down in order of choice if everything goes to plan.
1. Langley
2. Upton Court
3. Herchel
4. Burnham
5. Local school
6. Local school
One of my neighbours in P2 area, but not scored >111 (cut off), ended up getting Harlington HS, not within their CAF schools. Luckily a place freed up earlier this year in another school within their CAF and transferred. Boy much happier now. Goes to show how important it is to list schools that your child would thrive at, even if not a grammar school, especially with your local school choices.
“Sometimes I remain silent. Sometimes I don't. I don't know which I enjoy more”.(lifted)
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

scary mum wrote:How far from Burnham are you (straight line distance)?I think you are too far away for Burnham, don't waste your energies on putting your DC through the test - stress for both of you, and a waste of a place on the CAF.
He lives 10 miles away. The furthest distance for Burnham in March was 2.4 miles.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

streathammum wrote:
scary mum wrote:How far from Burnham are you (straight line distance)?I think you are too far away for Burnham, don't waste your energies on putting your DC through the test - stress for both of you, and a waste of a place on the CAF.
He lives 10 miles away. The furthest distance for Burnham in March was 2.4 miles.
In that case, why put a 10 year old through the stress? It also costs the schools money & if he is high scoring potentially prevents someone closer with a borderline score from passing. Focus on the Slough schools that you have a chance of getting a place at.
scary mum
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Agree. OP seems keen on Burnham as the journey is straightforward but there's almost no chance of getting a place there.

I hadn't realised it's the only Bucks school on his list. There really isn't any point in sitting the Bucks test if the only Bucks GS he'll apply to is Burnham.
Proud-Dad

Post by Proud-Dad »

streathammum wrote:Agree. OP seems keen on Burnham as the journey is straightforward but there's almost no chance of getting a place there.

I hadn't realised it's the only Bucks school on his list. There really isn't any point in sitting the Bucks test if the only Bucks GS he'll apply to is Burnham.
Can I ask why do I see around 10 children with Burnham GS uniform in Hayes & Harlington in the morning at the station. They look like 11-13 years old.

Either they moved address after getting a place or they lied about their address.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

They could be siblings or qualify under other admissions criteria. Or they could be older than they look. My children all had people in their years from over that way.
ETA: for example, the admissions for this September on March 1st were as follows:
All applicants offered under rule 2 (catchment Pupil Premium), rule 3 {4} (catchment siblings), rule 3
catchment, rule 4 (siblings), rule 6 (pupil premium) and some allocated under rule 7 (distance) to 2.452
miles.
So those children at the station could be admitted under rule 4 or 6.
There is also criterion 1: Looked after children and previously look after children.
Of course there is also the possibility of address fraud.
scary mum