Changes to Reading Boys entrance exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
readingmummy786

Changes to Reading Boys entrance exam

Post by readingmummy786 »

Hello,

My child is in Year 5 and we are doing DIY 11+ prep. I have heard that the admissions test for Reading Boys has changed, and saw a thread on this earlier. I would just like to confirm, is there now no Non-Verbal Reasoning and what will the style of the English component be? What is the weightage of creative writing?

Thank you in advance!
Tinkers

Re: Changes to Reading Boys entrance exam

Post by Tinkers »

The familiarisation paper from their website
https://www.reading-school.co.uk/attach ... ?file=2923" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully this helps.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

According to their admission policy:
Candidates will be tested in English and Maths and Creative Writing. The English and Maths elements are
marked by computer and age-standardised. All students with an eligible score from those two elements will
have their creative writing element assessed and candidates will be ranked accordingly.

https://www.reading-school.co.uk/_site/ ... 3353A7.pdf

(Cross posts with Tinkers - again!)
scary mum
readingmummy786

Post by readingmummy786 »

Thank you all! So does this mean that the NVR component has been scrapped?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It says just English & maths, so, yes.
scary mum
dontpanic

Post by dontpanic »

I came here to ask the exact same question! Can anyone, whose child sat the Reading School exam, confirm that there are no VR questions in the English paper and no NVR questions in the Maths paper please? Also can anyone confirm the time allocated for the creative writing paper? Good luck to all those awaiting results! Many thanks. :)
WrS

Post by WrS »

Everyone please hold onto releasing test related information just yet because there may be be boys who were in isolation that may not have sat the test yet. They could be taking the same test. Thanks
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

WrS wrote:Everyone please hold onto releasing test related information just yet because there may be be boys who were in isolation that may not have sat the test yet. They could be taking the same test. Thanks
Thank you for posting this reminder. We don’t allow the posting of info about recent tests due to possible late sitters. This is even more important this year with some isolating. The same test could be used well into next year.
dontpanic

Post by dontpanic »

Found the answer to my questions!
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... us/reading" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maths questions are similar to GL or quickfire CEM questions.
English is a mix of comprehension and VR questions that are closer to the CEM format

Paper 3 is a writing task – ‘You will be given a
question booklet with the instructions. There will be space in the question booklet for you to
make rough notes and to plan your answer – this will NOT be marked. You will also be given
a separate answer sheet to write your answer on. ONLY the answer sheet will be marked’
Hopefully that will help anyone else who are preparing their son.
Kind regards

amnash

Post by amnash »

This is useful, thank you. So I assume using CEM style books (CGP an others) should be safe specially for English and VR. I am not familiar with GL VR at all.
dontpanic wrote:Found the answer to my questions!
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... us/reading" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maths questions are similar to GL or quickfire CEM questions.
English is a mix of comprehension and VR questions that are closer to the CEM format

Paper 3 is a writing task – ‘You will be given a
question booklet with the instructions. There will be space in the question booklet for you to
make rough notes and to plan your answer – this will NOT be marked. You will also be given
a separate answer sheet to write your answer on. ONLY the answer sheet will be marked’
Hopefully that will help anyone else who are preparing their son.
Kind regards

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now