Is it worth selling house to move into inner catchment?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2020D2022S

Re: Is it worth selling house to move into inner catchment?

Post by 2020D2022S »

Also, it would be quite disruptive to the child - moving to a new town, new neighbours, new school for years 5 & 6, everything new - all the while preparing for 11+. I was under similar thoughts this time last year, but decided against the move for those reasons. Now my DS has completed 11+ tests, any house moves will depend on what school he gets, GS or non, and also convenient for my DD who is already in GS in Slough area. Additionally, we (as family) now have flexibility to move further out where we would really like to live - at our pace - under less stress. This "unstressed" household will surely help the kids do better in school - GS or non.

My 2p.
“Sometimes I remain silent. Sometimes I don't. I don't know which I enjoy more”.(lifted)
herewecome2022

Post by herewecome2022 »

streathammum wrote:Don't take this personally, because I say this often to people who are thinking of moving house for grammar school.

In my view, you would be better off looking for one of the many brilliant comprehensives in an area you'd like to live and moving next door to it. Much less stressful for all concerned. You'll definitely get a place, assuming it admits on distance and isn't a faith school or similar, and you'll be at the centre of the school community.

The problem with moving for a grammar (as opposed to just including your local grammar in the mix of your options) is you introduce so many variables - what if we move before the exam and she doesn't pass, what if we try to move after and we can't, what if she passes and we move but her score's too low to get a place - and that's without thinking about the extra pressure on your daughter (not just a school place but a whole house move dependent on the result of a test!).

It's good that you're thinking ahead and best of luck.
Thanks, I think this is good advice. We do have an outstanding non-GS about6 miles out. Houses are expensive but it would cost much less than private. There have been instances in neighbourhood kids getting into the school without moving, so we might take that chances when it comes to filling the form.
herewecome2022

Post by herewecome2022 »

2020D2022S wrote:Also, it would be quite disruptive to the child - moving to a new town, new neighbours, new school for years 5 & 6, everything new - all the while preparing for 11+. I was under similar thoughts this time last year, but decided against the move for those reasons. Now my DS has completed 11+ tests, any house moves will depend on what school he gets, GS or non, and also convenient for my DD who is already in GS in Slough area. Additionally, we (as family) now have flexibility to move further out where we would really like to live - at our pace - under less stress. This "unstressed" household will surely help the kids do better in school - GS or non.

My 2p.
Moving a mile away won’t be disruptive, as she is in a prep school and we have friends close by. the new rental place definitely disruptive and I think that is something to consider. I have only one child and our jobs are flexible so much better to move to London, where she can pursue music as well.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now