Order of preference and why?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
infiniteloop

Order of preference and why?

Post by infiniteloop »

If lets say all the below listed schools were at the same distance from your home, what would be your order of preference and why?

Langley Grammar School
Upton Court Grammar School
Herschel Grammar School
St. Bernard's Catholic Grammar School[/list]

Please suggest your views and opinions based on facts and figures.

Many thanks
Proud-Dad

Re: Order of preference and why?

Post by Proud-Dad »

infiniteloop wrote:If lets say all the below listed schools were at the same distance from your home, what would be your order of preference and why?

Langley Grammar School
Upton Court Grammar School
Herschel Grammar School
St. Bernard's Catholic Grammar School[/list]

Please suggest your views and opinions based on facts and figures.

Many thanks
We chose as Follows:

1. Langley
2. Upton
3. Herchel
4. St Bernard's

A few reasons, most of my sons friends will be going to Langley, Its closer, Its got a better reputation.

People usually heard of Langley but never heard of Upton.

Langley has better online reviews and speaking to some current students from Langley it was easy to make the decision.
infiniteloop

Post by infiniteloop »

Thank you Proud-Dad

Could you please expand little more on reputation? How did you assess it?
shna09

Post by shna09 »

Probably this helps:

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readi ... d-19142315" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

shna09 wrote:Probably this helps:

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readi ... d-19142315" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Top 10 schools in Berkshire according to the Real Schools Guide

We have the full list of the 57 schools featured in the guide below, but here are the top 10 secondary schools in Berkshire according to the guide.

1. Kendrick School, Reading
2. Reading School, Reading
3. Upton Court Grammar School, Slough
4. Herschel Grammar School, Slough
5. St Bernard's Catholic Grammar School, Slough

6. The Holt School, Wokingham
7. Langley Grammar School, Langley
8. The Piggott School, Wargrave
9. Maiden Erlegh School, Earley
10. Newlands Girls' School, Maidenhead

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
2020D2022S

Post by 2020D2022S »

Top 10 schools in Berkshire according to the Real Schools Guide

We have the full list of the 57 schools featured in the guide below, but here are the top 10 secondary schools in Berkshire according to the guide.

1. Kendrick School, Reading - GIRLS - Selective
2. Reading School, Reading - BOYS - Selective

3. Upton Court Grammar School, Slough - CoEd - Selective
4. Herschel Grammar School, Slough - CoEd - Selective
5. St Bernard's Catholic Grammar School, Slough - Catholic+Non CoEd - Selective

6. The Holt School, Wokingham - GIRLS - Comprehensive

7. Langley Grammar School, Langley - CoEd - Selective

8. The Piggott School, Wargrave -CoE - CoEd
9. Maiden Erlegh School, Earley - CoEd - Comprehensive
10. Newlands Girls' School, Maidenhead - GIRLS - Comprehensive
“Sometimes I remain silent. Sometimes I don't. I don't know which I enjoy more”.(lifted)
Proud-Dad

Post by Proud-Dad »

infiniteloop wrote:Thank you Proud-Dad

I have spoken with lots of people at work over the years and even met some senior staff when attending the Langley grammar school.

I have never met any staff who attended the Upton Court grammar.

Not many people even heard of Upton or Its previous name Slough Grammar.

Langley is much more well known.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Proud-Dad wrote:
infiniteloop wrote:Thank you Proud-Dad

I have spoken with lots of people at work over the years and even met some senior staff when attending the Langley grammar school.

I have never met any staff who attended the Upton Court grammar.

Not many people even heard of Upton or Its previous name Slough Grammar.

Be careful of confirmation bias - schools can sometimes be known for bad reasons as well as good and the reputation of most doesn't spread beyond a few miles. If I wasn't involved in this forum I wouldn't have heard of any of the school names or know anything about the school in the area (other than Slough Comp)
2020D2022S

Post by 2020D2022S »

Proud-Dad wrote: I have spoken with lots of people at work over the years and even met some senior staff when attending the Langley grammar school.
I am assuming the first school you considered (for catchment, distance, convenience to travel) was Langley. And you asked "have you heard of Langley Grammar", or "what do you think of Langley Grammar". I have found that most people do not have the time or sufficient knowledge or experience or inclination to give you an alternate view, especially at water coolers.
Proud-Dad wrote: I have never met any staff who attended the Upton Court grammar.
Assuming 100 kids get out of UCGS every year, they would be somewhere. Maybe just not in your area of work. And there are only a few recent years of kids out of UCGS who I would assume are in white-collar workforce. I have never worked with anyone with a Stanford degree (MIT yes).
Proud-Dad wrote:Not many people even heard of Upton or Its previous name Slough Grammar.

Admission data is one reliable measure of popularity. This published data can be translated as being people's active participation in research, preference and communication of opinion.

2020: LGS 6 applicants per seat, UCGS 8 applicants per seat
2021: LGS 8 applicants per seat, UCGS 12 applicants per seat

2020: LGS 4 qualified applicants per seat, UCGS 6 qualified applicants per seat
2021: LGS 3 qualified applicants per seat, UCGS 6 qualified applicants per seat

In 2021 UCGS had 50% more qualified applicants than LGS. This is important. These are people who have skin in the game - done their research, preparation (including for the test), and indicated their interest (proxy for positive opinion), and statistically more people prefer UCGS over LGS. Remove any duplicates - those who may have qualified at both schools, and the criteria is minimum 111, and still more people applied/qualified for UCGS than LGS.

You may have your own opinions on these, but I would be a bit hesitant to rely on crowdsourced opinions as a lazy alternative to doing own analytics.
“Sometimes I remain silent. Sometimes I don't. I don't know which I enjoy more”.(lifted)
Proud-Dad

Post by Proud-Dad »

2020D2022S wrote:
Proud-Dad wrote: I have spoken with lots of people at work over the years and even met some senior staff when attending the Langley grammar school.
I am assuming the first school you considered (for catchment, distance, convenience to travel) was Langley. And you asked "have you heard of Langley Grammar", or "what do you think of Langley Grammar". I have found that most people do not have the time or sufficient knowledge or experience or inclination to give you an alternate view, especially at water coolers.
Proud-Dad wrote: I have never met any staff who attended the Upton Court grammar.
Assuming 100 kids get out of UCGS every year, they would be somewhere. Maybe just not in your area of work. And there are only a few recent years of kids out of UCGS who I would assume are in white-collar workforce. I have never worked with anyone with a Stanford degree (MIT yes).
Proud-Dad wrote:Not many people even heard of Upton or Its previous name Slough Grammar.

Admission data is one reliable measure of popularity. This published data can be translated as being people's active participation in research, preference and communication of opinion.

2020: LGS 6 applicants per seat, UCGS 8 applicants per seat
2021: LGS 8 applicants per seat, UCGS 12 applicants per seat

2020: LGS 4 qualified applicants per seat, UCGS 6 qualified applicants per seat
2021: LGS 3 qualified applicants per seat, UCGS 6 qualified applicants per seat

In 2021 UCGS had 50% more qualified applicants than LGS. This is important. These are people who have skin in the game - done their research, preparation (including for the test), and indicated their interest (proxy for positive opinion), and statistically more people prefer UCGS over LGS. Remove any duplicates - those who may have qualified at both schools, and the criteria is minimum 111, and still more people applied/qualified for UCGS than LGS.

You may have your own opinions on these, but I would be a bit hesitant to rely on crowdsourced opinions as a lazy alternative to doing own analytics.

Thank you for your detailed reply.

I have since changed my sons preferences from Langley to Upton Court grammar as first choice.

Thank you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now