St Bernard’s Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Paul-R

St Bernard’s Grammar

Post by Paul-R »

Is there anyone that is able to assist me on a few questions for St Bernard’s Grammar?

On the oversubscription criteria list, number 4 says “Baptised or Dedicated Children of other Christian Churches with a religious leader’s reference”.

What exactly does dedicated mean? My son is not baptised but we do regularly attend a Church of England church and the vicar has signed our form B.

Would my son fall into number 4 on the list or will he be number 8?

Also on the thread for Slough admissions in this forum a few years back St Bernard’s offered to all RC children. Is RC registered catholic? Would my son stand a chance in getting St Bernard’s as a non catholic, non baptised Church of England?

We live 4 miles away in Slough and his score was 121.

Thanks
scary mum

Re: St Bernard’s Grammar

Post by scary mum »

It sounds as though he would be category 4 to me, if you have a vicar's reference.
RC is Roman Catholic.
scary mum
2020D2022S

Post by 2020D2022S »

Your status on StB criteria would probably depend on whether you answer YES or NO to this question, and being able to supply the appropriate documents.
StB Form A wrote:Is your child from a Practising Catholic family and have they been Baptised and received their First Holy Communion?
Please enclose a copy of the Baptismal Certificate, together with a copy of the Certificate of Catholic Practice or Priest Reference (Form B).
Also, StB admissions have been very good with answering phones, but best to seek clarification in email as well - in case you need paper trail later.
“Sometimes I remain silent. Sometimes I don't. I don't know which I enjoy more”.(lifted)
Paul-R

Post by Paul-R »

2020D2022S wrote:Your status on StB criteria would probably depend on whether you answer YES or NO to this question, and being able to supply the appropriate documents.
StB Form A wrote:Is your child from a Practising Catholic family and have they been Baptised and received their First Holy Communion?
Please enclose a copy of the Baptismal Certificate, together with a copy of the Certificate of Catholic Practice or Priest Reference (Form B).
Also, StB admissions have been very good with answering phones, but best to seek clarification in email as well - in case you need paper trail later.
The answer to that question would be no. We are not catholic and he is not baptised. However we do attend a Church of England church.

Thanks for the advise. I will certainly email them. Good advice.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

As far as I am aware, 'dedicated to the church is an official process, possibly (but not restricted to) religions which don't actually baptise. So not just, 'We go to church every Sunday'. 'Dedication ' means 'being given to the Church'.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ToadMum wrote:As far as I am aware, 'dedicated to the church is an official process, possibly (but not restricted to) religions which don't actually baptise. So not just, 'We go to church every Sunday'. 'Dedication ' means 'being given to the Church'.

this is correct - some denominations do not baptise until adulthood when it is the individuals choice however there is a service of dedication for the child as an infant - one church explains it here https://www.holmergreenbaptist.org.uk/child-dedication" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I think you’d come under category 8. Last year all eligible applicants in categories 1-9 got a place
EarleyP

Post by EarleyP »

Hi - My daughter scored 113 in the Slough exam but we are not practicing Christians and live in Reading.

Last year’s data suggested all students with more than 112 were ranked - does that mean all students with 112 and more got in (irrespective of where they live and their faith)?

Thanks for your guidance.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

You need to look at historic allocations here.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... =10&t=9313" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last year some cat 10s got places. In previous years they wouldn’t have.

Judging by your user name you will at least have some good local alternatives.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now