Upton Court Or Langley Grammar?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
brk2019

Re: Upton Court Or Langley Grammar?

Post by brk2019 »

Hello Parents,

Just in case it helps. My son goes to UCGS , he is very happy with the school, the facilities and most importantly the teaching and non-teaching staff. As a parent i am extremely happy and satisfied with the decision that i made in 2019 while giving the order of preference and last year when we decided to take the offer from UCGS.

The school does set very high standard in encouraging the kids to perform above what they are capable of doing. The curriculum that UCGS follows helps in that direction ( Ex. Ad astra part of the curriculum which is very unique to UCGS)

Kids who would have joined in 2021 and the kids who will be on boarded in 2022 will have added advantage of having all the clubs and other extra curricular activities being fully opened up which was not the case in previous year due to covid restrictions and this will make things very interesting and meaningful for the kids

At the end of the day parents who make the decision to put the order of preference in the application form ( 3 or 5 choices ) based on not just what you hear in online reviews, including what i have commented above but based on direct feedback from students ( present and ex ) , staff and parents and also most importantly what the historic data says ( like number of applications per seat among these grammar schools, cut off ranks top and low , GCSE results , A level results ) , distance from your home , transportation facility etc to name a few

Wishing all the parents and kids good luck and best wishes
2020D2022S

Post by 2020D2022S »

brk2019 wrote:Hello Parents,
At the end of the day parents who make the decision to put the order of preference in the application form ( 3 or 5 choices ) based on not just what you hear in online reviews, including what i have commented above but based on direct feedback from students ( present and ex ) , staff and parents and also most importantly what the historic data says ( like number of applications per seat among these grammar schools, cut off ranks top and low , GCSE results , A level results ) , distance from your home , transportation facility etc to name a few

Wishing all the parents and kids good luck and best wishes
To add to that, it is also important to get the child's opinion. In my case our children want/ed to make new friends so chose/are choosing a school where they see that happening.
“Sometimes I remain silent. Sometimes I don't. I don't know which I enjoy more”.(lifted)
Enya

Post by Enya »

Thanks brk2019! This is very very helpful. I feel more confident putting UCGS as our first preference :)
skajal

Post by skajal »

Dear Enya,
Could you please share your experience at UCGS?
We are now in a similar situation.
DS may end up going to Upton court, just wanted to get some reviews/ information from parents.
I would highly appreciate your thoughts or any feedback.
Thank you
mad?

Post by mad? »

Enya has not visited the forum since 2021 so may well not see your post - hopefully other posters may contribute their views
mad?
2020D2022S

Post by 2020D2022S »

With 4 years experience of being a UCGS parent, I can only say that the schools are only as good as your child's happiness. I know a few LGS and StB parents and children, and they do not have any less pride in their school. School buildings, the look, etc don't matter once September comes around.

Statistically more parents prefer UCGS to the other 3. And that is probably driven by the schools' admission offer criteria.

I now have two that go to UCGS, so I may be biased. But they are happy, we are happy. I know some LGS families, and they are happy too. If I was in your position, I would leave it to the child, and support them along the way.
“Sometimes I remain silent. Sometimes I don't. I don't know which I enjoy more”.(lifted)