Bracknell - Reading Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Re: Bracknell - Reading Grammar School

Post by ToadMum »

Rakesh621 wrote:thank you Tinkers for the reply :)

We are planning to choose all options to 3 grammars schools i.e.Reading boys, Herschel and Landley. Not keeping any state school .

Is this safe to do like this from Bracknell? what if my DS doens get required score ?

Grammar schools are state schools. Presumably you mean non-selective schools? If you only have three options in total on your CAF, then using them all for schools for which your DS may not qualify for reasons not related to his score in the exam is very risky. (If you are able to express more than three, but still choose only to use three, and for schools which your DS may not qualify for reasons not related to his score in the exam, that is equally risky). As Tinkers says, the schools which people are allocated when none of their preferences can be met tend to be undersubscribed for a reason.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Rakesh621

Post by Rakesh621 »

thank you all for the reply..

As we are renting house in Bracknell, we can move our home near Reading or Wokingham.

We enquired for renting an house around ME and St. Crispins catchment areas and we found very difficult to get a rental houses within 1,500 per month budget.

We need an address to register before 12th June for Slough Consortium. Not sure, whether we can change given address in future after registering with Slough consortium!!
Rakesh621

Post by Rakesh621 »

My DS hasn't cleared both Reading boys and Slough exams with good score , but he has scored really well in Kent tests.

We have planned everything for any grammar school in Reading or in Slough but that dream remained as dream

as we are living near Lower Earley, chances of getting seat in ME are very high.

Just wonder, how ME school as compared to any grammar school ? Is it worth moving to Kent by leaving ME ?

please advice..thanks in advance..
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Rakesh621 wrote:My DS hasn't cleared both Reading boys and Slough exams with good score , but he has scored really well in Kent tests.

We have planned everything for any grammar school in Reading or in Slough but that dream remained as dream

as we are living near Lower Earley, chances of getting seat in ME are very high.

Just wonder, how ME school as compared to any grammar school ? Is it worth moving to Kent by leaving ME ?

please advice..thanks in advance..
i think ME is a very oversubscribed and popular school, looking back it looks like you have to live within about a mile (of the school) to get a place - hopefully someone will have the exact figures
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

HM is correct, ME is very oversubscribed and this years allocation went to 0.741 miles.
Most of what is classed as Lower Earley wouldn’t get a place. You’d certainly need to be well within a mile. Check your distance and see if you are close enough.

ME is a marmite school some think it’s amazing (and wouldn’t bother considering a GS) whereas others really don’t like it or its ethos. A friend (now a science teacher herself) had a son there and had concerns about their science teaching. I think you’d need to look at it close up and personal to see if is the school for you.
Rakesh621

Post by Rakesh621 »

thanks for the reply...

after thorough analysis and discussion with friends .. we have decided to move to any grammar in Kent as my DS scored really well there..
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now