House move for Reading boys - Previous House Clause query

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
WhiteLotus

House move for Reading boys - Previous House Clause query

Post by WhiteLotus »

Hello All,

Some of you may have been in this situation, so wanted to get a genuine view.

We were in berkshire area(in reading boys catchment but in reading itself) for 5 yr on rent
Moved out of berkshire area(reading catchment) for 2 yr due to partners job and commute challenges and bought a house instead of paying rent
Now my DS is preparing for 11+ and we are keen to move back to berkshire permanently as situations have changed and we can manage from our original place of stay

As per rule we can be in catchment before 31/08. but there are some clauses
Candidates may also need to produce evidence that any previous home is no longer used by the family or
available for you and your family to live in –for example, proof that the property has been sold/a rental
agreement has ended. This is to show that the new address is not a temporary arrangement purely to secure
a school place.
If you own or rent a property, and you buy or rent another property or live with family or friends temporarily,
and state that this is your and your child’s home address, we will not use the second address for school admissions purposes

Query is if this move is genuine from the perspective to stay in berkshire or within reading. Considering deciding and buying a property and selling old property is surely a time taking process, we plan to move on rent initially and then buy.

What kind of proof would be required for council to satisfy that is a genuine move and in the long run we are surely going to sell our property at the previous address.

Any advice would be appreciated.
hermanmunster

Re: House move for Reading boys - Previous House Clause quer

Post by hermanmunster »

What are you planning to do with the property?

I think the LEA would probably expect you to have sold the property, though I think some accept it if it is rented out for a certain length of time, maybe best to ask them what they would accept
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

How far away is your current house from the school you want to apply to? Some local authorities recognise that if you have a second property but it's a long way away it's not likely to be your 'real' address and you're not going to move back there after you've got a place at the school.
WhiteLotus

Post by WhiteLotus »

hermanmunster wrote:What are you planning to do with the property?

I think the LEA would probably expect you to have sold the property, though I think some accept it if it is rented out for a certain length of time, maybe best to ask them what they would accept
Initially planning to rent it out and once I have something suitable to buy in reading/adjoining area, then sell it and use it to buy there.

Yes will try and check with LEA. Thanks
WhiteLotus

Post by WhiteLotus »

streathammum wrote:How far away is your current house from the school you want to apply to? Some local authorities recognise that if you have a second property but it's a long way away it's not likely to be your 'real' address and you're not going to move back there after you've got a place at the school.
That sounds positive. Yes it 70-80 miles away, so not possible to cummute etc.
Just conscious about how the school admissions team asses such cases.

Thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

WhiteLotus wrote:
streathammum wrote:How far away is your current house from the school you want to apply to? Some local authorities recognise that if you have a second property but it's a long way away it's not likely to be your 'real' address and you're not going to move back there after you've got a place at the school.
That sounds positive. Yes it 70-80 miles away, so not possible to cummute etc.
Just conscious about how the school admissions team asses such cases.

Thanks
I suspect they would be much more concerned of it was within 10-20 miles, 70-80 is a totally different matter. We did this years back - old house was 120 miles away and up for sale, the LEA (different one to yours) made the sensible decision that we definitely were moving, best just to chat to them
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Are you also planning to move to a local primary school as well? That would also help your case. Continuing at your current primary wouldn’t look good (and sounds like it wouldn’t be feasible either).
WhiteLotus

Post by WhiteLotus »

Tinkers wrote:Are you also planning to move to a local primary school as well? That would also help your case. Continuing at your current primary wouldn’t look good (and sounds like it wouldn’t be feasible either).
Yes , would not be feasible to continue at my current school, so would move to a local school,
Also have a younger one who starts this Sep, so both of them would moving to a local school.