Kendrick / Reading / Slough CEM Tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
question

Kendrick / Reading / Slough CEM Tests

Post by question »

Morning All

I was hoping experienced parents could clarify a few things regarding the testing format. My understanding is that these are both multiple choice and standard based questions, so for practice is the standard format the best?

Also, for maths question, if the answer is 400m. Do you have to write the digits 0400 and strike 0-4-0-0 to get the marks?

Many thanks.
Last edited by question on Sun May 02, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkers

Re: Kendrick / Reading / Slough CEM Tests

Post by Tinkers »

Kendrick and Slough use CEM and the schools have familiarisation papers on their websites to give you a flavour of what to expect and what the answer sheets look like.

Reading are changing to a different test this year. Possibly GL maybe their own as they used to.
question

Post by question »

Thanks for that. Hadn’t heard that Reading was changing, I’m sure Kendrick will follow.. They normally do. So I will be preparing for entry into 2022 (Reading) and 2023 (Kendrick) and testing formats may change!
question

Post by question »

Timing of these tests and warnings.

Hi, can anyone tell me how long sections generally are and what the warnings are for time left? Eg. 15min section, is it 10,5 & 2min warnings?

Thanks
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

they don’t always tell you for sure; CEM seem
to have a keep-em-guessing strategy.
My DDs sat 4 and 5 years ago and their CEM sections varied between 5 and 12 minutes with a one minute warning but it may well not be that anymore.
The best thing is to prime your child to listen carefully to any instructions and practice a one minute warning at home (use a ten minute test or a past paper section) simply so they learn not to panic, but to calmly mark down answers for any missed questions before time is up, and if they have time left, to go back to look at any guesses a little. that strategy is MUCH more helpful to them than trying to second-guess the exact paper structure.
question

Post by question »

Thank you, very helpful
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now