Slough 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Post by Guest »

Hello Angela

The question types for a lot of LEAs, particularly those using NFER, are known in advance because some LEAs provide parents with familiarisation packs. It is these packs that guide tutors and parents to prepare children for the tests.

Birmingham tests that are set by CEM do not have familiarization papers so it is in the interest of tutors and parents to have an idea what the question types were this year so that they can prepare children for next year.

Regards
Angela

Post by Angela »

This isn't the case for Berkshire, there are only 2 types of questions which will come up and no indication is given to the schools as to what they are. They could come up in the following year as well.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Angela wrote:This isn't the case for Berkshire, there are only 2 types of questions which will come up and no indication is given to the schools as to what they are. They could come up in the following year as well.
I do agree with this.
By the way, I have changed my original post because didn't make sense to
>>
This site and the forum members are trying their best to make the 11+ process as transparent as possible. However, knowing the two NVR question types would give a big advatange to late takers.
Children who are sick on the official day and children moving into the area late in Year 6 take their test later. I don't know if they take the same test, but it is very likely.<<

Post by Guest »

i was the one who asked the question about what comes up and if it is the case that children take the test late then i agree with catherine , that its best not to discuss it yet.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Guest,

I got some answers from my son. He said that each section was a mix of types, and that the practice questions had all the types in the section.
This contradicts what he said before, but he seemed more willing to think about the 11+ test than usual, so I think that this version is probably what happened.

We need feedback from others.

I don't think that saying whether, this year, there was two sections with one type in each or a mix of types in both would help late takers, but if someone disagrees please say.
shades

Post by shades »

catherine this reply contradicts what you said in 15 nov post
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

shades wrote:catherine this reply contradicts what you said in 15 nov post
Hi Shades,

Sorry if I am not making myself clear.

On the 15th november, I said that if late takers knew which two NVR questions out of two would come up, they would have a big advantage because they could concenttrae on preparing only for these types.
What I said yesterday is that, in my opinion, knowing whether only two types come up (but not knowng which type) or a mix of types would not help them much because they would still have to practice all the types.

I apologise about this mix-up about NVR types. I mentioned previously that I was only reporting what my son said, and I really don't want to give misleading information.
There are a few unanswered questions about the Slough exam, including whether the VR include 21 types as in Bucks, or only the 15 types of the NFER-Nelson papers. The appeal process is also a grey area.

If anone has any info, please can you share it on this form, even if you are not sure? (In this case, make it very clear that it is the case and where the info come from.)

Catherine
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now