Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Katherine

Timie alloted -reading Test

Post by Katherine »

Hi
Again from me...
My DS was doing the practice test papers till now taking 50 mts... for 50 qns. But now I heard only 30 mts shouls be taken for each paper. is that correct. can anyone please give an idea about the no. of qns and time alloted for each paper for reading school test- please!
Torrylee

Post by Torrylee »

Hi Katherine

My DS sat the Reading test a few years ago. The papers are definitely longer than 30 minutes each, the Reading School website says that the three tests are each 'approximately' one hour long so 50 minutes sounds about right. I'm sure somebody with a better memory than me will be able to tell you exactly how long each test is.

Don't panic! Not long to go now and then it will all be over (except for the long wait until March of course!). :)
Katherine

Post by Katherine »

Many thanks, Torrylee
My DS and myself was worried about this. I will the show your comments to my DS. I am sure he will be happy and confident in doing the test.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi Katherine,

Here is some feedback from previous years,

Maths, Reading home made paper :) about end of KS2 level, not as hard as most 11+ Maths papers, 50 Qs in 50 mins.

English, again end of KS2, three short comprehensions, then sections on grammar, spelling mistakes, best word to complete the sentence and sometimes a surprise section on Index, Bibliography, etc. 65 qs in 50 mins, so they have to work fast and accurate but again level is not as high as some 11+ papers.

Then either,
VR if it comes up 85 questions in 45 mins.
or
NVR if it comes up, in four sections of approx. 18 questions in ten? minutes each, sorry can't find my notes.

Last two years have been NVR, but you never know.

Overall the level of questions is moderate on the 11+ scale but the papers either have more questions or less time than other papers. Three papers on one day is a bit of a marathon.

Good luck.

steve
Terri

Post by Terri »

Hi Steve,

Please could you explain what is meant by index and bibliography questions and where I would find some questions covering these ?

Thank you very much
Terri
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi Terri,

On the Reading English paper they have from time to time, not every year set a surprise section. Not hard just different.

Example I have been given was, a multiple choice question, from the Bibliography where did the maps come from? Answer, Cartography XXXXX.

Just prepare a little bit for the unexpected, look at a book, talk about index, reference, glossary, bibliography.......don't stress about it, it is one section that may come up. I think it is KS2 English.

Good luck and best wishes :)

steve
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now