Unanswered questions about the Slough 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dell

Unanswered questions about the Slough 11+

Post by dell »

Catherine wrote: There are still a few unanswered questions about the Slough tests, and it would be most useful for next year cohort to have an answer for them.

1. does the the VR include 21 types as in Bucks, or only the 15 types of the NFER-Nelson papers?

2. do the VR sections include ONE type of question, or a mix of types?

My son has always been quite reluctant to talk about the tests, but I hope that some of your children will more willing to remember.

Hi, My son has answered as :

(1) questions were based on IPS- HIKNOS and 15 NFER-nelson.
(2) questions were mixed types.
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB »

1) Can't remember. (What's verbal reasoning again Mum? Is that the English questions? (How soon they forget!)
2) Mix of types

JuliaB
worried

Post by worried »

1) As we didn't know about the 21 types until we found this forum (end of Sept, my son was practicing Susan J ), can't comment on this. My son said that Slough VB was much easier than Bucks ( but he had 140 for Bucks and 135 for Slough), so may be it was 15 types.

2) After the test, he said that there were two sets with 20 in each set. He also said that each set was one type (as in Bond books), so there were only two types. He said what types they were, but I don't want to get into trouble incase of late (house movers) takers. He still says the same.

Hope this helps. I should write these down with all the 11+ stuff, hopefully the rules will be the same in 3 years time for my little one too.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Catherine

The 'problem' with the Berks VR, is that its only one test. that paper will probably only have about 12 types.

Making it 12 out of 15 OR 12 out of 21.

Thus making it more difficult for the child to work out whether its the 15 or the 21 !

Dells son seems to think its based on HIKNOS [IPS] and shop bought NFER, until a definite answer can be given its probably best to teach 21.

Berks, needs a tutor to come clean and tell all.

Patricia
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Thank you for this Dell, JuliaB and worried.
Your sons don't seem to all remember the same thing about NVR, but that's just kids for you!

Patricia, I do agree.
Is it possible that ALL the NFER tests are based on the 21 types nowadays?

Post by Guest »

i dont think that we should be discussing this incase of late takers who move into the area because we have not been allocated places yet. At least wait till the places have been allocated oi march so it is fair.

Post by Guest »

I'm not sure that the info given is anything more than common knowledge and I'm not sure it will be much help to late sitters. Its not as though actual questions are being discussed

Post by Guest »

why risk it if they are genuinly people asking advice for next years test i am sure thay can wait until march they will still have 8 months to the test.
dell

Post by dell »

My son has memorised some of the questions asked in berks test and has briefly noted in a note book. He has assured to compile max possible questions by 10th January.
We hope these questions will give brief idea about types of questions asked in the test.
Presently he is busy in preparations of second round for “QE Boy’s Barnet “.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

That's great, dell. Your son is a star :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now