St. Bernards Grammar, Slough Grammar or Herschel Grammar??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

St. Bernards Grammar, Slough Grammar or Herschel Grammar??

Post by Guest »

My child and I have been visiting the Slough grammar schools last week and in order to register for the slough 11+, parents need to choose their first choice grammar school and send the registration form to that school. Can anyone shed any info on the above schools. At the moment, St Bernards is favourable.
chad

Post by chad »

I think that it is all down to which school you think will suit your child.

They have all had good GSE results recently (A* - C, incl English & Maths) and this can change a small percentage with the cohort.

Herschel (I have been told) offered down to 112 for this years Yr 7. But there were appeals upheld.... one just below the 11 plus pass mark of 111.

Slough offered down to 111 but I dont know if there were any successful appeals.
It looks as if Herschel was slightly more popular than Slough last year.

St Bernards has a different admissions criteria so there can't be any comparison

My son has started Slough Grammar , the school I felt he was best suited to, and has settled in very well..... he (at the moment) is enjoying the school. He has friends who chose Herschel and they also seem to be happy with their choice.

Go with you and your childs instinct. They have to first be happy then they will enjoy their education.
Best of Luck.
Clare

Post by Clare »

I know people who work in Education who chose St Bernards for their children.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

My son has just started at Slough Grammar and everything is going well so far.
Slough Grammar is a language college and pupils start in year 7 with latin plus two modern laguages. The school seem committed to having an
international ethos, and an understanding of the culture as well as the language of foreign countries.

I do not know much about St Bernards. My son has a friend who has started there and is very happy.

Herschel is is getting more and more popular. It is also strong on outdoor clubs.

The GCSEs academic results are good for all three. In 2006, St Bernard's got the best A-Cs percentage (98.4%, but the worse points score 474.12).
But they are all very close.
In terms of A levels, both Herschel and Slough Grammar have a large 6th form with students coming from outside the school. Their A level results aren't as good as St Bernard's.

Each of these schools has its own ethos, and it is very important to find the best suited for your child.

Best wishes

Catherine
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

This post has been edited on the 10-11-06 following some 'iffy' comments on the forum

Some more detailed comments about my son's school

- It is a very dynamic school that uses innovative practices in many areas such as: the International baccalaureate, the KS3 in two years, leading edge activities on Wednesday afternoon. (Extra curriculum activities such as sport, languages, games, etc. Very successful with my son so far).

- The staff is very friendly towards parents and pupils. We have had several requests that have been answered promptly and helpfully.

- The friendly approach does not prevent the discipline to be strictly enforced.

- The teaching is good, and my son enjoys the lessons.

- Pupil’s progress are closely monitored and reported to parents.

- The only negative aspect for us at present is that the accommodation is quite cramped, specially the canteen. The school has applied for building permission to extend their premises and hopefully, this issue will be sorted.

Hope this helps

Catherine
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB »

I've pulled this thread back up from September. I understand (purely playground chat maybe) that Herschel was so oversubscribed last year that they started with the highest score and filled their places working down from that. A child from her school scored 116, put herschel as first choice and didn't get a place. So this year 111 'may' not be enough if there are lots of children with higher scores. I remember reading that someone posted that 534 sat the 11+ for Herschel this year. Might be useful when considering all options.

JuliaB
chad

Post by chad »

Thats weird..... I heard that they definately took down to 112...and some 111's...... any one out there that can shed light on this?
worried

Post by worried »

Here was me thinking that it's a new message. I can't believe that story about 116. Last year I know a child who got in to Herschel with 113 (no appeal). I heard that Herschel give places in the order of score, so if there are many children with high scores this year, there is a chance for few disaapointed children. :cry: Let's hope it's not too many.

Does anyone know the pass rate for this year's 11+? I think there are many more children with high scores this year. My son's school has 4 passes. They were only expecting maximum 3. Last year they had 2. I spoke to few parents from different schools and most of them have passed with 120 or above. Was this year's 11+ easier than normal? or our children were just lucky or more capable.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

I also heard the same as Chad. If anyone is in doubt, please contact the school. They won't be able to tell you the score needed for this year, but they should be able to tell you last year's one.

Worried, the pass rate for this year 11+ must be the about the same as for the previous years, 25%, unless there was a lot less applicants. The pass score being a standardised score, it represents how well the child performed by comparison to others, so there will always be high and low scores.

I don't know about the schools you have heard off, but in my view, if some schools did better that usual, either there was less applicants, or some other schools will have done worse.

The scores posted here have also been generally high, may be because the parents had enough information to tutor their child well. :D
Rochelle

Post by Rochelle »

Dear All
I am very very worried now. My son scored 112 in Slough 11+ and we chose Herschel for a Slough school. We live in Bucks and so sent the CAF to BCC. First choice was Burnham Grammar and second choice Herschel. My child missed the bucks by 1 mark so that discounts a place at BG. What will happen if Herschel is over subscribed and he is put on a long waiting list?? What if come September 2007 he is still on the waiting list?? What school will he be allocated??(we didn't chose any other grammar school)

Rochelle
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now