Reading Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bailey

Re: Reading Grammar School

Post by Bailey »

My son has just started at Reading, and I remember reading in the application information that they did expect you to put Reading school as your first choice on the application you send to your LEA.

Also, just to confirm, they do award the younger children taking the exam extra points in the standardisation process. My son was awarded 12 points for having an August Birthday.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

pndt.snl wrote:Will attend the open days coming up,but was still a bit unsure abut how to lay my order of preferences.
I am trying for Reading boys..but also wish to apply for Wilsons & langley..
wuld the schools know abut their preference in form ..??

Thnx...

you have to put them in the order you want them. You will only get one place on national allocation day and that will be the first school on your list for which your DC is eligible.
So if you want Reading put that first or if you want Wilsons put that first. If you put first and aren't eligible then you would be considered for R as if it was your first choice - the school will not know where you put them.
Every year there are people told by the school that you HAVE to put the local oversubscibed non-selective first or you won't get a place. This is not true You probably will go and get a place there but would not be considered for any Grammar schools further down your list regardless of how well the child has done in the tests.
pndt.snl

Post by pndt.snl »

Thanks a lot @ hermanmunster

I understand now regarding preferences on form.
Thnx again
pndt.snl

Post by pndt.snl »

@ cestlavie - Thanks
have started the Bonds assessments for English
was not very sure about NVR
could see the AE tuition workbooks & testbooks for NVR & VR available in book stores...
Have gathered few Verbal reasoning technique & practice By Susan D.

Pl. advice when do we actually start testpapers-NFER sets
..is after Christmas break late to do so..???
actually..went through atest paper for Maths & found few questions on ratio& proportion,%,equation...
My DS has not yet gone therough these topics..
cocoa0101

Post by cocoa0101 »

Hi,

Starting preparation after christmas is not too late, but you need to ensure your DS is doing plenty of reading and making an effort to build up vocab. Read a variety of materials together eg: news, books, magazines..and discuss them to make sure he understands them. For the maths, don't forget that the NFER/GL papers are the level that he has to be at in a year's time so you need to work towards it. Even then , there will be some stuff like algebra which your DS will not have covered at school. Make sure the basic maths is good ie: strong multiplication and mental arithmetic. With 4 areas to cover for the exam there is certainly a lot to get through but if your DS is bright he will hopefully pick it up quickly!
pndt.snl

Post by pndt.snl »

@ cocoa0101

Thanks a lot.
Yhea..I am trying to download papers & material for 11+--make my own worksheets from them & also doing workbooks for maths,VR &NVR--AE workbooks,Susan D,spelling&vocab by AE.
I have been making worksheets for him since last year,as introduction to actual 11+ papers.
For NVR -any suggestion of study material for techniques
Thnx again
cocoa0101

Post by cocoa0101 »

For nvr I start them only in year 5 with the Learning Together books x 2, followed by the Afn before moving to IPS, gl assessment and bond.
pndt.snl

Post by pndt.snl »

Hi!

I believe now as per new arrangements children in Reading cannot apply for Langley grammar.They have added few postcodes on their website under catchment...

Pl. share sites to download free sample papers..

Thanks
mumoffive

Post by mumoffive »

Very able boys should be able to pass the exams without too much preparation. They need to be ahead of their age group in maths and literacy and familiar with verbal and non verbal reasoning. Both my boys passed the boarders` exams with only a few weeks practicing on NFER papers at home. All five of our children have gained grammar school places without any kind of tutoring. Remember once they get in that is just the start - they have to be able to keep up in a very academic environment for the next seven years. Having said that both my sons loved Reading School and did very well.
darell

Post by darell »

Well done to your boys Mumof5.
As an aside, sadly but perhaps more realistically, I have it on very good (mother of a child who passed) authority that all 9 Crosfields boys who got in this year were heavily tutored. the accepted wisdom locally is that no-one would chance it with their own kids.
Anyone who claims not to have coached for Kendrick is assumed to be lying!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now