starting at SGS this September

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bcookerblum

starting at SGS this September

Post by bcookerblum »

Just wanted to ask if anyone had had any information from Slough Grammar yet re induction day, form tutor meeting...etc? My son is the only one going from his class so no one to compare notes with, but all of his classmates have had this information from their schools now.
Thanks.
bcookerblum

Re: starting at SGS this September

Post by bcookerblum »

LOL. Panic over, letter about form tutor meeting, induction day and languages arrived this morning!
chad

Post by chad »

I was just the same when my son joined........(rang the school in the end just to make sure it hadn't gone astray. :oops:
bcookerblum

Post by bcookerblum »

Haha, well my daughter's 11+ results went missing in the post a couple of years ago so I'm probably just a bit over anxious about missing anything this time round!
Jazzyd

Post by Jazzyd »

Hi all
I was wondering if anyone can shed any light or has views on SGS toying with the idea of becoming an academy.

My Daughter starts in Sept and we went to meet the tutor on Thursday. At a session held by the new head she mentioned that the govt had approached the school in becoming an academy and they are keeping options open and highlighted it will not be as soon as Sept as there is not enough time to review.

So, not sure if parents at the school currently have heard anything, cause I'm not sure what this means with regards to the future.
Thanks
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

I am a current parent of SGS Y7 and Y11. Nothing has been sent home to us. I would be very unhappy if the new head was in favour of this at all. Any other current parents aware of this?
bcookerblum

Post by bcookerblum »

Dd in yr8 bought a letter home earlier in the week. I only glanced at it briefly( got alot on at the mo) but the gist I think was that the governors were looking at it quite favourably in terms of funding...etc but that they needed to look into it more and would not be going ahead if it meant losing grammar school status.
I'm sure Chad will pop in at some point with more details though( and he'll be more with it than I am as I only glanced at it quickly and now can't find it!)
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

Just picked up my Y7 child from Friday evening activity and she said ooh yes I did get a letter didn't I give it to you. I told her I would definately remember if she had given me it!! I would love Chads comments on this. My Y11 is currently trying to make a decision if she is staying or leaving SGS this could sway her decision!!
chad

Post by chad »

As normal in this household...... letter at the bottom of Ds's bag, :roll:

I think all schools will 'consider' the option and at least the school are being open about the process.
It is a new initiative, there will be a lot of 'small print' to sift through and the governers and staff will not want to cause any stress during this time.
I have heard that an academy has a greater say in the structure of the school and curriculum.... it also has autonomy in how it spends certain funds.

Without seeing the details I could not give an opinion..... I am just glad that they have stated that the 2 non negotiable issues are any change of name & the selective school status.
My Y11 is currently trying to make a decision if she is staying or leaving SGS this could sway her decision!!
I would think that the 'High performing Academy' option will be considered by any grammar school.

Lancaster Royal grammar School's head had this to say....

Is Academy status the way forward?

I have been giving a lot of thought over the half-term break to the new Government’s initiative on Academy status. The Secretary of State Michael Gove wrote to all schools last week to ask us all to consider such a change. It was one of the “headline” election priorities put forward by the Conservatives and they have wasted no time in communicating this to schools. We are advised that schools could become Academies in time for the new academic year in September 2010, but that this would need Governor approval before the end of June. As so often in education, speed is of the essence.

As a school judged “Outstanding” by OFSTED we would qualify immediately for such a transfer. On the surface, there are some serious potential advantages. In particular, we are being advised that our budget allocation might rise between 10% and 15% as a consequence of the fact that the money currently spent by the Local Authority (LA) on our behalf would instead be sent directly to schools. This represents a return of something approaching the Grant Maintained system of the nineties, which suited LRGS well. We have often felt that the LA has “top-sliced” schools’ budgets, since GM was scrapped, in a way which penalises the most autonomous schools, such as LRGS, and that we have never received our fair share of Government funding.

However, the devil is in the detail and so we await fuller clarification before a decision can be made. There are two particular concerns.

First, it is not clear what mechanisms will be put in place for future capital funding. At present, it is not only our revenue which reaches us through the LA, but the Authority also acts as the conduit for bids for capital development. With the Masterplan in mind, we will need to ensure that this new status will provide at least as much opportunity for access to buildings and development funding.

Secondly, it is not clear what impact Academy status might bring in terms of our ability to select. We would obviously need to ensure that our Grammar status remains at least as secure as it is now.

As things stand at the moment, I have some considerable confidence that Academy status might well be the future model for LRGS. The Department of Education (DfE) are currently developing the details and we will keep a very watchful eye on their deliberations.

There has also been some media coverage in Devon & Lincolnshire

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/news/New-a ... ticle.html

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/new ... ticle.html
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

Hi Chad

Thanks for your pm and reply on forum.

I think you are right in saying that all GS should consider the option and ask for more info. Particularly if it means the school are going to benefit financially and in turn the pupils. I too think it is important that they retain selective status and name!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now