Reading Format

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Reading Format

Post by Guest »

Can anyone help with the format of the tests at Reading grammar school. The number of questions, and the actual time per tests would be very helpful.

My son will be sitting the test this November, so any advise greatfuly accepted.

Thanks

Lucy
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

I have some notes from the November 2006 exam, and will endeavour to post them in the next few days. They will come with a health warning that it is one childs recollection and Reading could change the format !

I remember the 'starting out feeling' and the search for information.

Might distract me from thinking about results day, 1st March. :shock:
stevew61

EPCD eleven plus compulsive disorder

Post by stevew61 »

Felt I had to do this now. EPCD eleven plus compulsive disorder

If my notes are not clear please ask ! This is what we think happened in 2006.

Exams all multiple choice plus essay
Maths 50 qs 50 mins
English 65 qs 50 mins/45? plus 20 mins short essay
VR 85 qs 45 mins ( note it could have been NVR )

Maths , Reading own exam not as tough as NFER papers but a bit above KS2.

English, NFER paper four (?) short comprehensions ( a bit like KS2 paper but half the time ! but it is multiple choice ) plus three sections spot spelling mistake, spot grammar error, best word? 65 questions a bit of a shock

VR, NFER paper with reduced time ! a test of vocab., speed and accuracy. Possibly not as hard as NFER only two time consuming code sections

Sample questions as remembered

Maths

area of a triangle , given height and width

sequences

1,2,4,7,?

16,4,1,1/4,?

English

spotted spelling mistake 'begining'

VR

odd word out one from five not a standard NFER
farming field agriculture forestry ?????

80-85 type N

section of two letter sequence/code
ab,cd,ef,......

no section of time consuming word codes

Preparation

VR look at Bucks VR so NFER/IPS although they throw in some slightly different types.

NVR look at NFER . If it comes up it was in timed sections. Recent history 2004 NVR 2005 VR 2006 VR.

Maths look at KS2, NFER and similar.

English, hardest I think for most boys, look at KS2, NFER and find something with several short comprehensions.

On the day.

The one way system for cars dropping off clogged up by about 8.15 a.m. A line of senior boys stop ( in the nicest possible way ) you entering school and take children to gym for registration, once a group of ten registered they are taken to an exam room. Mine was the only child who did not bring a pencil, flap, then everybody told to put pencils away as they are provided. Put ruler, rubber snack/drink in a clear plastic zip up folder, all bags off desk.

My son tried to do everything in his head, we had email confirmation that you could write on the question paper without penalty, however he headed the ten warnings on the day not to write on the question paper and ignored the scrap paper, oh dear!

Breaks between exams some in exam room one outside for fresh air drink and snack. Do not be distracted two children were moved to the front of the hall for closer supervision.

It's a long day arrive 8.00 am due out at 1.30 p.m. ,mine was thirty minutes late coming out some were forty five minutes late.

Anything else please ask.

Stevew61

Post by Guest »

THANK YOU Stevew61.

Exactly what we needed. Don't understand why they insist on all the secrecy. Would love the transparent system of Bucks 11+, but would settle for some info as opposed to none!

Could you possibly clarify the working out. Does this mean they are given scrap paper, and are not allowed to write on actual question paper?

Thanks again

Lucy
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Stevew61,

You're a gem!!! Really de-mystifying the process, will help so many, even if they change some of the processes, you've still shed light on the monster that is the Reading 11+!

I wish you and your son the very best for March, and hope, 'Number 1' was lucky for him! :)

Thank You

BW
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Lucy & BW,

Thanks for your comments, it's nice to put something back after all I have learned from this site and one local helpful parent.

After I had posted I thought I should have put more in about preparation, but did not want to scare you just yet. :D

I can understand partly the Reading advice that no further preparation required ( If your son has completed KS2 to a high standard, unlikely in November, and has a natural talent for Reasoning papers without having seen one, very unlikely ).

We overdid the maths preparation. We did lots of English but not enough multiple short comprehension, this format did not feature in our planning I had not looked at the KS2 packs sat on the shelf. :cry:

There is much valuable advice on this site and many good papers to download, the CD's arrived at the right time during the summer heat and helped re-start study, it became fun again.

During the year of study we had peaks followed by collapses in performance. I think it is best not to push for that extra 5% but make sure you are consistently above 80%.

The marking is I feel biased towards VR/English, if its one mark per question then its 50+65+85=200. Not sure all the essays are marked, this years was 'write about an electrical appliance that might appear in a museum in the year 2300' or words to that effect.

On exam day scrap paper is provided and boys are told repeatedly not to write on question paper. However if you email admissions they advise,

quote "Thank you for your email. We do ask candidates not to write on the exam papers and they are provided with rough paper for working out answers, however they will not be penalised if they do write on the question paper".

Only thirty one days to go to results day.

stevew61
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

This has been bugging me all day so here goes. I have double checked with son and essay was "electrical appliance".

Is this a nasty verbal reasoning trick, or am I reading to much into it ?

Many boys wrote about mobile phones which are more electronic than electrical and not appliances as they do not fit the dictionary definition.

My son played safe and wrote about a toaster.

Any opinions most welcome, I have been working through a KS2 English guide and it talks about reading very carefully and answering the question asked.

stevew61
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Stevew61,

Sounds like he answered the question asked.

A toaster is most definitely an Appliance.

Can see how the question can be easily mis-interpreted if read too fast, by a child.

Looks good for March!

BW :)

kendrick - essay

Post by Guest »

I thought Kendrick just did VR and non-VR. Do they have to do an ESSAY as well, or is that only other Reading schools?
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Guest,

You are correct.

Kendrick ( girls ) VR & NVR only. They also tell you its NFER.

Reading ( boys ) English & Maths & Essay & Reasoning ( a random choice of VR or NVR ) so you need be ready for four out of five papers and quote

" tests will build on current good practice adopted in primary schools and will be tests for which no additional preparation is necessary.
No past papers are available and no further information with respect to the tests will be given. "

This causes extra stress. This forum allows us to share information and so levels the playing field with those who have previous experience, tutors or pro-active schools.

stevew61
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now