Post by chad »

Content removed ... answer to deleted post
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Content removed (answer to a deleted post]
chad

Post by chad »

Hi Catherine,

The only facts we can establish from Ali's post at this moment is that some students do not enter SG's 6th Form and there is a large intake of wide abilty range students at 6th form level.

As confirmation of earlier posts I have spoken to an '16+ education' inspector who praised the efforts of SG to allow access to further education to a wider section of the community but he confirmed that this would definately lower their achievement rates when compared with other grammars who do not have the same policy. This is the 'diluting' of the sixth form.
My only worry is this may have an effect on the pupils from the main school? Don't know! I hope my child can make a well informed decision at 15.

I have also come in contact with a parent whos child has recently left SG 6th form and gone on to university. They have said that their child grew in confidence during their time at SG especially the last two years and was given every opportunity to achieve, not only in 'academic' studies but in this case 'drama' as well. They were very pleased with the teaching and support.

So .... yes the intake is a large factor for the A'level league tables being considerably lower but it has been hinted that it might not be the only one. This has not been substantiated so as far as I am concerned it is still only a hint. :lol:
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Chad,

Thank you for your constructive post. It's refreshing.

I agree that the open access policy for the sixth form might have an impact for pupils coming from the school, but there's not enough evidence one way or another so far so I'll keep an open mind about it.

I'll keep this forum posted if some new information comes up.

Post by Guest »

Catherine - I don't live in your area and I have no knowledge of Slough Grammar, but don't please worry about what other people say about the school. My child got into a very good grammar school a few years ago and the comments that people made about how poor that school actually was and the stress of the children, etc, would have made your hair curl. I have found that she is happy, enjoys school and we have had absolutely no problem with it. Go with your gut feeling and don't be moved by the comments of others - particularly anonymous posters on websites - even though I am one of those!!
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Thank you so much for your comforting words, Guest.
I hope that it will turn out as well for my child as it did for yours.
Jill

A grammar's a grammar!

Post by Jill »

Hi Catherine
Not knowing anything about Slough but ... I'm sure there is a hierarchy in all areas but a grammar is grammar & I'm sure your son would do well which ever grammar he went to ...
Jill
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now