Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Congrats jmass!

Footymad
JB

Post by JB »

Congrats to all who got their first choice. My son got 111, first choice Herschel, was not offered this - he is 12th on the waiting list. I was informed by the school that there was no movement with the waiting list last yr. :? very confused because I'm hearing from other sources that there is usually movemt.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

The reduced movement in the last year or so may be from the introduction of the single form which meant (in theory anyway) that each child only got one offer of a place - hence the hadn;t got much to turn down unless they appealed elsewehere or had private school places.

In previous years some people got several offers by filling on forms for neighbouring LEAs. [/quote]
WOBW

Post by WOBW »

Did you hear any more from Herschel, JB? As far as I know, the people who were offered a place (on 1st of March), had to confirm by mid March.

All the appeal (lower than 111) people got their reply by end of March. If there was any movement in the waiting list, you should be able to find out by now by calling the office.

Herschel has started (or half way through) their one to one with Head teacher. The children who got a place had to prepare a 2 minutes speech and see the Head Teacher with their parents. I thought it was a good chance to ask questions. My son was nervous to start with but he was fine after the speech.

Does any other grammar schools or state schools do this sort of meeting? I have only heard it in Herschel.
Waddle

To WOBW - Herschel interviews

Post by Waddle »

Hi WOBW

Now you've made me nervous - my son has a place at Herschel, but we've not yet heard about the interview with the Head (though we are expecting it, as we already have a son there).

Do you know if they are being mailed alphabetically? Our initial is 'R'.

We have had the general round robin letter about preferred language for Y7, so presumably we are not forgotten!!

Thanks,
Waddle
WOBW

Post by WOBW »

I am assuming they have gone with alphabetical order of the school first, then alphabetical order (of surname) of the children in that school.
My son's school begins with 'c'. The other two children from his school had same date just before and after him according their surname.

If you are worried, I think you should call the office and ask about it. We got the letter at the end of March and his appointment was last week. I saw another child there from a school begins with 'L'. One of my son's friend (from the same school) who had the appointment just before him had to rearrange it, so they filled it with another child from another school, so I assumed everyone had the letters.

Sorry, didn't mean to make anyone nervous.
Waddle

Herschel meetings

Post by Waddle »

No need to panic, almost simultaneously to reading your reply we got our letter inviting us in for meeting with headteacher. Your alphabetical theory fits - primary school names starts with S, surname with R.

Quite looking forward to it - when we went with our elder son, I remember it was a very relaxed, low pressure occasion which reassured him he/we had chosen the right school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now