Good VR for Reading?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
aliportico

Good VR for Reading?

Post by aliportico »

Hi :) I think we're doing okay with ds's preparation for Reading in November, apart from VR. He's been getting good marks in the Bond books, but he just finished the latest one and I realised I don't have anything lined up for him next! I know I had some scribbled notes about what to buy but I can't find them or remember what I'd been planning :roll: I have got 2 or 3 of a set of old NFER papers, but any suggestions for what else would be good at this stage?

Anyone else going for Reading this year?
R3ad1ngDad

Re: Good VR for Reading?

Post by R3ad1ngDad »

Piece of advice - this year they used several classrooms as well as the hall/gym/pavilions. The one my son was in was warm so they had windows open - but then the friday call to prayer started at the Alexandra rd mosque (backs on to school) so the window was closed and it got very hot and close. Get him used to drinking whilst working and make sure he takes a bottle of water with him.

Mine collapsed with a temp of 39c shortly after the exams (1hr) but as he had not mentioned anything to the invigilator during the day (didn't want to cause a fuss) they would not have paid any attention to that if he had failed the exams. Make sure he knows to tell the invigilator if he feels ill so it can at least be marked down in the notes.

I would suggest getting him to do practice papers in a noisy distracting room now he can do them in the quiet - then he wont be distracted come exam day
Torrylee

Post by Torrylee »

We also used IPS, Bright Sparks and Walsh. Walsh we found to be the hardest of the lot.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

R3ad1ngDad wrote:Piece of advice - this year they used several classrooms as well as the hall/gym/pavilions. The one my son was in was warm so they had windows open - but then the friday call to prayer started at the Alexandra rd mosque (backs on to school) so the window was closed and it got very hot and close. Get him used to drinking whilst working and make sure he takes a bottle of water with him.
Crikey, not what you'd expect in November! Thanks for the warning :)
I would suggest getting him to do practice papers in a noisy distracting room now he can do them in the quiet - then he wont be distracted come exam day
Have to admit, it's never particularly quiet round here ;-) But yes, I take your point :) He has a bit of a tendency to stomp off in a huff or get upset if he's struggling with something - just getting through the 3 hours is my biggest worry, tbh - so I was planning to get him to do some practice papers at the library, where he will have to keep control of himself! (He is definitely improving with age, thank goodness.)
Torrylee wrote:We also used IPS, Bright Sparks and Walsh. Walsh we found to be the hardest of the lot.

Thanks!
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Now that Reading School are writing their own reasoning paper it is much harder to prepare.

Last year the paper was a mixed VR/NVR paper, or so my unreliable DS2 says, the VR tended to be logic word problems the Z type, worth looking at the Susan Duaghtrey books, we also found some free online psychometric test questions that looked helpful.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now