Kendrick - postives and negatives

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
freemum

Re: Kendrick - postives and negatives

Post by freemum »

hi
Yesterday i went to Kendrick open evening with lots of enthusiasm but i was disappointed after visiting.There is no open play ground and the rooms are like cardboard boxes without fresh air and suffocating. I think the school is totally focused on the academics. Now i am bit worried for placing Kendrick as 1st preference. I don't know why i did't like the school while majority of people loving it.
darell

Post by darell »

To our surprise we didn't like it either freemum and inquisitivemum, also hated the lack of open space and did not get any sense of rounded girls but perhaps that was just our guide.
Rethinking options too.
tilehurstmum

Post by tilehurstmum »

My dd and I also went to the Open Evening last Thursday and we were very impressed. We had a Year 7 guide who gave us a real insight to life at Kendrick school. Yes I agree that some classrooms were quite small and there is a lack of open outdoor space. However the Science and Technology rooms were recently refurbished and the school is actively trying to raise funds to upgrade the accommodation which will take time and money.

We really enjoyed the tour and were amazed at the amount of people who visited on the day. The staff and students were so friendly and were obviously passionate about the school. I do believe this is the school for my daughter (provided she is offered a place).
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Went to the open evening, first impressions the speeches were too long. We did a lightening guided tour just to get a feel for the school, wasn't sure at first but having slept on it thought it didn't feel like a secondary school more like a large primary :lol: which I liked. :?

As they said if you are lucky enough to be offered a place.................

I thought the girls were happy and enthusiastic the standard of displayed work outstanding (to be expected) and if we are lucky enough we will give it serious consideration so looks like number one on our CAF, but as we are Y5 still a long way to go.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

stevew61 wrote:Went to the open evening, first impressions the speeches were too long.
Lol Steve, I went to Reading on Thursday and thought the speeches were a bit short - was expecting a bit more! Have clearly listened to too much Mrs Elms :)
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

aliportico wrote:
stevew61 wrote:Went to the open evening, first impressions the speeches were too long.
Lol Steve, I went to Reading on Thursday and thought the speeches were a bit short - was expecting a bit more! Have clearly listened to too much Mrs Elms :)
Mrs Elms was unwell, so we had head designate Mrs K, a parent governor, head girl and deputy head girl all speak at us. :roll: And now .... would like to say a few words zzzzzzzzzzzz.

It is easy to focus on a negative, long speeches or lack of rolling acres, but I think for a genuinely academic girl it looks like a top setting. :D
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

I just thought of another positive of Kendrick - everyone has a locker, in their formroom. Might seem a small point, but lots of schools don't!
NaomiHi

Post by NaomiHi »

My daughter is now in year 9 at Kendrick . . . she takes the train and, although I can't speak for the rest of the student body, having ridden the train with her on the way to work, I can vouch for her classmates' good behaviour. DD (my daughter) doesn't receive any outside tutoring and doesn't find the workload particularly onerous . . . she copes well with the homework load, has some lovely friends and finds time to have a life outside school.

Personally, I think Kendrick is what you make of it . . . yes, it can be tough and competitive, but from what I can see students can (and do) have an outside life . . . and as the mother of a girl who was bullied all though primary school, I am thrilled that she has settled so well, made some lovely friends and is so very happy.

Bottom line, I think like like anything in life, Kendrick as a choice of secondary schooling is an entirely personal one . . . horses for courses if you like.

Oh, and one last thing . . . when I drop DD off at school it's not the Kendrick girls I see loitering on the corner with the boys from Reading Boys grammar . . . it's the girls from the private school up the road - The Abbey.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now