Slough Consortium; Two questions about the Non Verbal Test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SingleDad

Slough Consortium; Two questions about the Non Verbal Test

Post by SingleDad »

Hi

I have two questions about the Non Verbal Test for the Slough Consortium.

First question
In a previous post it was stated that there are 4 Sections, each with 20 questions. Each Section is timed at 10 minutes. So with Practice Questions, this totals 50 minutes. However, the GL Practice Papers I have (I believe GL provide the papers for Slough) state 6 Sections timed at 6 minutes each, plus time for Practice Questions.

Can anyone confirm which it is for the actual test in Slough Consortium please?

Second question
If a child finishes a section early, can they start the next section straight away (and carry forward their time)? Or is each section strictly timed to start and end at specific times?

Many thanks,
Booklady

Re: Slough Consortium; Two questions about the Non Verbal Te

Post by Booklady »

Hi - we went through this last year - but from memory I do remember the suggested practice paper having different timings than the real thing and 4 x 20 minutes sessions rings a bell.

The other question I am positive on - each section has a practice couple of questions as a run in which they have a couple of minutes to look at. Sometimes the actual test starts below / opposite this - so I told my DD not to bother with the practice Questions, just mark anything or leave them, and spend the time working out the answers to anything else she could see! Then they are told to start the proper section and this section is timed. You cannot go forward if you finish early, nor back to check anything.

Good luck!
SingleDad

Post by SingleDad »

Thanks Booklady.
hasmum

Post by hasmum »

Hi Singledad,
I remember posting something with regards to the timings. It is as booklady has stated, 20 qs in 10 mins for each section and practice qs. with each section. 80 qs. in total in 40 mins. but total of 50mins including the pratice qs.

I queried this with my ds's tuition centre as he had 12 qs in 6 mins for his mocks, but they had 60qs in total. they stop after each section, do the practice qs. and go onto the next section.

My ds panicked due to the short timing and guessed for alot of them hence did not do as well as his practice papers. You cannot go backwards or start next section, as they tell you when to start and stop. My ds did much better on the VR paper (94%)so that brought his end result up. This is a worry for me at present as you have 30 secs for each question literally. But the good thing is they add both papers and derive a mark. They dont have a pass mark for each individual paper. The aim is to probably get 85-90% on each paper to be on the safe side for the slough grammers I think. Going by the past statistics around 80% equals to 111. Obviously changes a little each year/ with each cohort. With us being OOC we need to get into top 70 for Herschel cut off is (116, told by head at open evening) and top 100 for Slough grammer, Langley is around 118+.

I will sign off, can't wait for this to be all over.