Help with reluctanct learner

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Chidalu

Help with reluctanct learner

Post by Chidalu »

Good evening all,

I stumbled upon your site yesterday evening and basically, it's the best thing that has happened to me so far this yr! I've been reading with amazement at how much work goes in to prepare kids for the 11+. My son is in yr at a private school and I live about 7 mins walk from Reading Grammar school. Everyday I walk past it, I keep dreaming that this is the school for my son, mostly for financial and logistic reasons. It would be nice to have a break from paying fees but luckily he's the only one we have.
He's a very bright boy but needs a lot of time to get going. He's also very sporty where he scores his highest marks and spelling. He's strong in literacy but does not enjoy writing so much.
I don't want to sit back till it's too late but we have not much time to fit extra learning cos we have daily homework from school. His school day is full with hobbies after school too.
I've thought about a tutor but not sure he's ready for the extra pressure and I could do some work with him sometimes I find it completely frustrating. He struggles with mental maths but I have seen huge improvement since yr 3 especailly with his times table. He's also very immature and not pulling his weight at school so where do I begin? Maybe I worry so much cos when he started school, I was worried about his reading and spelling and now hhe's in top group at school for these subjects. Pls, I would like some advice from people on how best to approach it cos he's definitely got to another private secondary school if he does not get into Reading Grammar. Ps ps, any piece of advice will be highly appreciated. Truth is I have so many books including the bond for 6-7yr, things I've printed from the internet but we just can't fit it all in.
Reading Mum

Re: Help with reluctanct learner

Post by Reading Mum »

You might be better moving this query to the Berkshire section under regions - there is plenty of info about Reading boys there
Chidalu

Post by Chidalu »

Thank you so much. How can I move it to the Berkshire region?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

welcome to elevenplusexams forum chidalu, As readingmum suggested , you may get more answers in the berks section so I have moved it there.

Good luck!

yoyo
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now