Langley - Is there any point appealing?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

faitaccompli

Langley - Is there any point appealing?

Post by faitaccompli »

Late sitting last week - score of 110
Due to a catalogue of errors (we are moving from Bedfordshire) my son had never seen VR or NVR prior to 14th November 2011. So he had less than two months to learn how to do the tests (including having Christmas in between).

During the exam, the boy next to him had a watch with an alarm that went off every 12 minutes. The invigilator did not remove the watch as the boy could not see the clock clearly from where he was sitting and needed to use the watch.

He has SATs predictions of 5+ in maths, English and science, and reading and spelling ages assessed in May 2011 of Spelling (13 yrs 5 months) and Reading (12 years 9 months). Is there any point in my putting an appeal in based on academic evidence given the relatively short period of preparation time he had and the disruption during the test. I understand that 94 appeals were held last year on marks below 111, and only 3 were successful. We have very strong backing from our Head Teacher if that helps.

Edited to add his score put him 496 out of 1189 children who applied for Langley, with scores raning from 69-141.

I suppose I have answered my own question. :(

We still have Bucks to sit in February - obviously this gives us an extra few weeks to prepare - but what do I do if this goes wrong as well?
Desperate_Parents

Re: Langley - Is there any point appealing?

Post by Desperate_Parents »

You have a "right to appeal" and I think you should appeal. You seem to have some good grounds to appeal on and I am sure you will get some good advice from the forum!
At the end of the day what have you got to lose? I understand that someone with 107 has succeeded on an appeal in the Slough Consortium.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now