Reading school -new mum

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
caring star

Reading school -new mum

Post by caring star »

This query for one of my friend’s son. Her DS has got an admission for year 9 this September in Reading school. She got a few queries which I hope the forum members would be able to help. she recently moved to Reading
• Where can she able to buy the uniform
• Any tips /anything they are v strict about uniforms or coats
• What all languages DS has to study apart from English
• She heard that Latin is there , so will they expect her DS to know that the basics of that language as he hasn’t learned that language before.
• Also her DS doesn’t know swimming. so is it compulsory or how they going to tackle a boy with no idea of swimming.
• Any idea whether the tutors there offer tuition in case if he needs extra help for any subject.
Many thanks for all :D
Reading Mum

Re: Reading school -new mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I believe the parents' assoc run a second hand uniform shop. Otherwise the uniform info is on the website
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

caring star wrote: • Where can she able to buy the uniform
• Any tips /anything they are v strict about uniforms or coats
• What all languages DS has to study apart from English
• She heard that Latin is there , so will they expect her DS to know that the basics of that language as he hasn’t learned that language before.
• Also her DS doesn’t know swimming. so is it compulsory or how they going to tackle a boy with no idea of swimming.
• Any idea whether the tutors there offer tuition in case if he needs extra help for any subject.
They will get an information pack and have a taster day so plenty of opportunity to resolve issues.

Uniform - by September years 7 & 8 will be wearing the new blazer with the badge on. Year 9 will still be wearing, I guess, the old style plain grey blazer. Check with the school. Yes they are stictish about uniform. :)

Languages - Year 9 will be third year of French and second of German. The school say at least one must be taken at GCSE, but I've heard of the odd one doing neither.

Year 9 - The Latin becomes a continuation of Latin (hard to catch up) but also splits into an introduction to other GCSE options Greek or Classical Civilisation.

Swimming was big in Year 7, not sure much in Year 9. I will check with DS. Having said that having some basic water safety skills and swimming would be a good idea.

In Year 7 they did provide catch up lessons so I am sure the school have a way of successfully integrating boys from a wide range of backgrounds in Y9.

The school cope with Y9 intake every year and Y7 boarders so I'm sure everything will be fine. :)
caring star

Post by caring star »

Hi
Many Thanks Stevew61 for your detailed reply-just wondering whether you got any chance to talk with DS with more swimmimg details in year 9.
Also my friend said her DS has no knowledge of French ...so if its going to be 3rd year of french how he is going cope up with. I think he was asked to do some asses ment in french before that ...which is really worrying. so should he go for some tutoring(which she tells is really difficult finding a tutor and gain some basics in limited time) :( ..so should they inform the school.. :? .please advise..I can pass it to her ..its really urgent...many thanks for all
caring star
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Don't Panic. :)

Talk to the school, although unusual I'm sure this situation is not unique.

The school are very supportive and will advise what's best. I know one Y9 entry who was asked to work through some German over the summer to catch up.

The school will be keen for one MFL, as it affects the latest league table fad.

DS thinks there was swimming at beginning of Y9, but if you can't swim and are water phobic they can't force you into the pool. DS was a weak swimmer and offered lunchtime catch up lessons in Y7 so that should be available? Talk to the school.

The sooner the issues are raised the sooner they can be resolved. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now