Waiting lists

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
woodywoodpecker

Re: Waiting lists

Post by woodywoodpecker »

Hi, thanks for replies Studymum and Cocoa101. Just got letter, son 121st on list, so frustrating but pleased he did well - I think it's a very big ask however. Any forum users with past exp - do you think it;s best to call Admissions in a few weeks as opposed to calling today? Thanks
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

woodywoodpecker wrote:Hi, thanks for replies Studymum and Cocoa101. Just got letter, son 121st on list, so frustrating but pleased he did well - I think it's a very big ask however. Any forum users with past exp - do you think it;s best to call Admissions in a few weeks as opposed to calling today? Thanks
In a similar position last year I emailed them asking for raw scores and received a very detailed reply, I think it is easier for them to cut/paste and email rather than recite over the phone. They are very helpful and friendly. :)
cocoa0101

Post by cocoa0101 »

woodypecker,

I can understand your frustrations, so close and yet so far. I would give it until end of next week and see how list has moved (I know of at least 2 who will not be taking their offers but how long it takes for that information to get back to reading I don't know). Definitely email them if you want raw scores as suggested by Steve and then just keep in touch with them.

good luck
studymum

Post by studymum »

Not sure if this help buy my letter says 123 on waiting list but he is actually 16th on list as offers places were not needed so I your 121st you are already boosted. However, I've a feeling this is just out of reach :(
woodywoodpecker

Hi Studymum, sorry being a bit thick (new to this game) - can you clarify what you mean by being 16th on list and 124 on waiting list? How do these differ? Thanks!
studymum

Post by studymum »

Sorry - I didn't explain that well.

My letter says that DS was ranked 123 and was therefore 23rd on the waiting list as a result of performance in tests. When that information was sent to RBC it turned out that some places would not be taken (I guess through not being 1st choice or accepting pricate school offers) and as a result of that he is actually now 16th on the waiting list from when letters sent out.

Hope that helps :)
cestlavie

Post by cestlavie »

Last year DS was ranked 124 (did the exam November 2010 for 2011 entry but didn't get offered a place so not sure what happened there...), when we emailed the school he was then immediately 15th on the waiting list. This is because the ranking they send out is based on the scores of everyone who did the test, but some of those that are higher up don't have Reading as their first choice school so aren't allocated.

Two weeks later he was 6th on the waiting list, after that it didn't move a great deal and we stopped checking after June, though it seems now that he was perhaps agonisingly close (though he definitely didn't get offered a late place so someone higher up on the waiting list must have changed their mind!).

The whole process was quite stressful, DS in particular hated the waiting, not least because he didn't really want to go to Reading anyhow, but also because of all the talk and excitement at school about planning for the transition. I would suggest that you try not to think about it past the end of March because very little happens from that stage onwards.
cocoa0101

Post by cocoa0101 »

Cestlavie,
My apologies, I have just confirmed with my friend that her son was 120 on waiting list and not 123 as I posted earlier. So that means that number 121 was offered a place to start in January 2012.
cestlavie

Post by cestlavie »

Thanks, I did worry for a moment that maybe we missed the phone call (!), though we'd probably not have moved him at that stage anyway. Slightly frustrating nonetheless to know that he was so close.
woodywoodpecker

Regarding the waiting list at RB and to those with past experience of this, is there any point in contacting the school office before March 15th when offers accepted? Secondly wondering if anyone out there got their boy in on a waiting list and whether they struggled academically because they didn't make the first 100?

Thanks!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now